Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:33 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So, I've been playing QIIIA online with my dreamcast and bba for a few weeks now and I have noticed that my favorite maps (crisis, agony, brute force etc etc) are not in the servers rotation of maps. Is it possible to play all the maps on my disc during online matches?

Last edited by everynewday84 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 am
quote : #2
If memory serves, those are exclusive Dreamcast split-screen maps. Those maps are playable on any server that has the pack that includes those maps. However, the server has to be switched to those maps while you are connected from an administrator, as I believe the Dreamcast will not display server that are running such maps in the server browser. Anyone can correct me however, as it is quite late in the night.

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:16 am
quote : #3
Well shucks, it's hard enough to find or organize a 1v1 using my dreamcast, let alone setting it up and at the same time getting in touch with the server administrator so they could switch it over to that map for the players. Sounds like it's possible, just tedious.
Any kind server administrators want to be kind and help with this? TeamXlinks, lordnikon?

fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:48 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
If the server have voting enabled you could callvote to your favorite map from the console

;callvote map dc_mapXX

Quote:

dc_map01 - Introduction
dc_map02 - Arena Gate
dc_map03 - House of Pain
dc_map04 - Powerstation 0218
dc_map05 - Arena of Death
dc_map06 - Blue Monday
dc_map07 - Hidden Fortress
dc_map08 - Dark Chapel
dc_map09 - The Place of Many Deaths
dc_map10 - The Forgotten Place
dc_map11 - The Camping Grounds
dc_map12 - Fatal Instinct
dc_map13 - Temple of Retribution
dc_map14 - Lost World
dc_map15 - Gaze of the Abyss
dc_map16 - The Proving Grounds
dc_map17 - Evil Playground
dc_map18 - The Bouncy Map
dc_map19 - The Longest Yard
dc_map20 - Hell's Gate
dc_map21 - Duelling Keeps(CTF)
dc_map22 - Space CTF(CTF)
dc_map23 - Blast Radius(CTF)
dc_map24 - Fallout Bunker(CTF)

dc_ss201 - House of Pain (low) (dc_map03)
dc_ss202 - Arena of Death (low) (dc_map05)
dc_ss203 - The Place of Many Deaths (low) (dc_map09)
dc_ss204 - Powerstation 0218 (low) (dc_map04)
dc_ss205 - Blue Monday (low) (dc_map06)

dc_ss401 - Revolver
dc_ss402 - Frenzy
dc_ss403 - Incinerator
dc_ss404 - Brute Force
dc_ss405 - Agony
dc_ss406 - Crisis
dc_ss407 - Incinerator(CTF)
dc_ss408 - Slowburn (CTF)
dc_ss409 - Revolver(CTF)
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:21 pm
quote : #5
Thank you for the info. Checked it out and it does work, the only problem is that all the fastest servers do no allow voting. I found one server that allows voting, but it's pretty laggy, almost too laggy to have fun.

gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
However, the server has to be switched to those maps while you are connected from an administrator, as I believe the Dreamcast will not display server that are running such maps in the server browser. Anyone can correct me however, as it is quite late in the night.

I was able to 'callvote' and switch the map myself without the administrator doing anything, but you are right the server is not displayed in the server list now that it is at the map crisis.
I've tried manually entering the server address and it does bring up some info (map, gametype, speed, etc etc) but it will not let me enter the server.
Gosh, I can see why many administrators do not allow voting. It sure is silly that the server list works this way...

-Drez01-
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:15 pm
quote : #6
It is not good to callvote dc_ss maps:

dc_ss201 - House of Pain (low) (dc_map03)
dc_ss202 - Arena of Death (low) (dc_map05)
dc_ss203 - The Place of Many Deaths (low) (dc_map09)
dc_ss204 - Powerstation 0218 (low) (dc_map04)
dc_ss205 - Blue Monday (low) (dc_map06)

dc_ss401 - Revolver
dc_ss402 - Frenzy
dc_ss403 - Incinerator
dc_ss404 - Brute Force
dc_ss405 - Agony
dc_ss406 - Crisis
dc_ss407 - Incinerator(CTF)
dc_ss408 - Slowburn (CTF)
dc_ss409 - Revolver(CTF)

Once the match has ended due to time or frag/cap limmit, most servers wait till someone joins to change maps. DC players can not play these maps online so it will just sit there unjoinable. Until server restarts /admin or pc player with dc_ss mappack changes map to normal map rotation.

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:32 pm
quote : #7
I allow voting on my server, but I trust that people will call a vote to a normal map before they leave so the server doesn't get stuck.

I find that voting is very nice, because my server rotates through all the maps in ffa and ctf. One of my friends and I really enjoy dc_map11. If I didn't have voting on my server and we were just playing a game on dc_map11, we'd have to wait for 46 map rotations before playing it again. Voting is very useful.

EDIT:

Another thing, dc_map01 has the same problems as the ss maps.

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:40 pm
quote : #8
I agree voting is almost necessary if your going to be playing for any amount of time, but I am nervous in doing so because I don't want to take the server off the master list, potentially for days or weeks at a time.

Can we vote out of the map once the timelimit is hit? Will it cycle into a new map and correct the problem? I've been reluctant to experiment with this as I don't want to mess anything up for everyone else...

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:10 pm
quote : #9
everynewday84 wrote:
I agree voting is almost necessary if your going to be playing for any amount of time, but I am nervous in doing so because I don't want to take the server off the master list, potentially for days or weeks at a time.

Can we vote out of the map once the timelimit is hit? Will it cycle into a new map and correct the problem? I've been reluctant to experiment with this as I don't want to mess anything up for everyone else...

Heres what I suggest.

Say you voted for dc_ss401 and just got done playing it.

Before you leave call a vote for a normal map like:

;CALLVOTE map dc_map11

I know some people just let there servers run and don't check on it regularly, but I check on mine daily, just in case.

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:24 pm
quote : #10
Thanks for the suggestion. A friend and I put up a temporary server and have been experimenting with that, so that we wouldn't be messing up anyone else's server. We1wont7die and I will post our findings, and further questions, after more trials and tribulations. Mr. Green

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:32 pm
quote : #11
TeamXlink wrote:

Another thing, dc_map01 has the same problems as the ss maps.

Note: I have tested the 'callvote map dc_map01' command several times now and I have had no trouble getting to the map, and once I was there I have always been able leave the map, find it in the server list and then rejoin. I have tested this out on more than one server. dc-map01 does not have the same issues as the ss maps.