Topic: Console Commands

Page 1 of 1
Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:48 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I noticed that there are console commands for UT that can improve the framerate during offline sessions. Does anyone know of console commands for Quake that help improve the framerate for offline games, or even improving your game's performance online?
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:51 pm
quote : #2
i would doubt it, since if there was im sure that wouldve been brought up before. id be very happy if there is a way though.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:11 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
There really is nothing that improves the framerate for Q3 on the DC. What you see is what you get. You can start disabling things like lighting and textures, but this just takes away from the game. Also, it is questionable whether it actually improves the framerate or not. Q3 doesn't have a framerate indicator like UT does. So there is noway to tell. People start seeing things when they try to tell the difference. The only thing I have found that actually makes a noticable difference in the framerate is to tell the game to us simple geometry, and remove curves. This creates huge holes in the maps though. Basiclaly breaking the map visually and creating invisible walls.
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:23 pm
quote : #4
Type: Pal
Nightmare a la DC wrote:
or even improving your game's performance online?

I rememeber using years ago timenudge? or something like that. A very experienced PC player and host who I knew personaly told me about it and some dc players used it in a games we played with him on his PC. He did comment that it affected everyone in game though but this is so long ago I have problems remembering the full facts or even the command. I am sure someone else will know what I mean.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:25 pm
quote : #5
Well, that's good to know then, 30 fps works fine. I'm getting too used to playing Quake 3 on my pc at over 60 frames.
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:06 pm
quote : #6
i think its ;cl_timenudge -50
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:17 pm
quote : #7
That specifically relates to lag, rather than frames per second.
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:27 pm
quote : #8
Nightmare a la DC wrote:
Well, that's good to know then, 30 fps works fine. I'm getting too used to playing Quake 3 on my pc at over 60 frames.

Yeah, it's a step down, when I play q3 on my PC I have the frame rate limit off so I hit around 120 frames I believe.

So when I play Quake 3 on my Dreamcast, it's noticeable. But I get used to it after a while and then it's completely normal.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:34 pm
quote : #9
Atleast Quake 3's framerate is consistant. It is locked at about 30fps. If it were variating all over the place, it would be a real problem. In many respects I consider Q3 more fluid than UT simply because of its consistancy. UT achieves higher framerates in general, but it also tanks when action gets really intense.
Posted:
Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:18 am
quote : #10
These make my online experience more fluent and better.

;r_detailtextures 0
;r_ambientscale 200
;r_mapoverbrightbits 0
;r_vertexlight 1
;r_fullbright 1
;com_blood 0
;r_directedscale 200
;r_dynamiclight 0
;rate 4000
;cg_shadows 0

Modem Init: ATS15=128

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:49 pm
quote : #11
I've been on a hunt for a while to find an equivalent command to these in Quake III Arena, I've yet to find them, but hopefully someone can help.

com_maxFPS
cl_maxpackets
cg_drawfps
cg_brassTime
cg_draw3dIcon
cg_draw2D
r_nocurves
cg_lagometer
cg_marks

If anyone knows of a Dreamcast equivalent of these commands, please let me know.

Thank you.