Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
FxF
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:27 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
As the thread title says, what could I do with a dedicated server for the Dreamcast community? I have one pretty much doing nothing since it's only hosting a small website and a TS server. Is there any software/servers I could run on it that would benefit us as a community? I was thinking of maybe putting a Quake 3 server up but by the looks of it there are already quite a few online.

FxF

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:32 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, the main game server you can really run is Quake 3. There are no dedicated game servers for other games so Q3 is your primary option.

There are a lot of servers up yes, but one thing that could benifit is another mod server or two. Maybe a Freeze Tag server or instagib rail. I still need to compile a list of mods that people can take advantage of. Pretty much any 1.16n compatible server side mod will work.

However, I recommend avoiding the use of mods where weapons or textures are used that don't load on certain Dreamcast maps. The SHOTTIE mod does this, and the game looks broken on specific maps.
Posted:
Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:30 am
quote : #3
If there aren't any rail only servers yet I'll be looking into getting one of those online. How many players still actively play though? as I really have no idea untill I can take a look myself.

QuakeJunkie49
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:46 pm
quote : #4
if u need mod servers ill make mine serve mods i set up a dedicated server cause i thought id hlp and save OC some money

-Drez01-
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:32 pm
quote : #5
Quote:
However, I recommend avoiding the use of mods where weapons or textures are used that don't load on certain Dreamcast maps. The SHOTTIE mod does this, and the game looks broken on specific maps.

This can be fixed if you replace the (missing texture) weapons that dont spawn on the map but are in hand, over the spawning weapons that are on every map like the machine gun. on mods like shottie where map items are disabled anyways.

eg. replace spawning machine gun with railgun, replace spawning quad damage with bfg

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:35 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
I still need to compile a list of mods that people can take advantage of.

Has this materialized yet?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 pm
quote : #7
Nope not yet. Anyone is free to look up and provide documentation on 1.16n Dreamcast mod support.
Posted:
Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 pm
quote : #8
I will be doing that soon. Just wanted to compare notes.