segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi,

I have had this issue since I started using a PC-DC server, but normally it wasn't an issue because whenever I played it I was playing someone who was on standard dial-up, which meant (in this case) that they could host and I could join, but I was always unable to host as the other player could either not see the room or had an error trying to enter it.

Last night I was playing Blast who is now using a PC-DC server and the problem was more of a issue as neither of us could enter/see the created game. We both got to the master list ok and were both able to create games but neither of us could get in...in fact blast could see my room but couldn't enter but I couldn't see his at all.

Now I have tried forwarding all ports in winroute, as well as forwarding the listed ports on my router but still no joy.

Both maximum pool and PSO work fine with the PC-DC server atm and when I last checked so did PSO, although I haven't tested this of late as I have the BBA for that. In any case I think this is a Starlancer specific issue to the PC-DC server.

Anybody have any ideas as to what this might be, or has anyone else expereinced this problem?

I am using windows ME btw and blast is using Windows 98

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated

Cheers

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 am
quote : #2
If you want to set up a time sometime this week (or weekend), I can help test. This was something Maddmaxx and I ran into when first testing the PC / DC setup many many years ago and it's most likely port related.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:32 am
quote : #3
Hey m8,

Ok thanks for that, will send you a pm shortly.

Will be very handy to try and get this sorted out

Cheers

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:30 am
quote : #4
i remember having the same problem. would be nice if someone could figure out whats happening Confused
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:23 am
quote : #5
gary_b wrote:
i remember having the same problem. would be nice if someone could figure out whats happening Confused

Just a quick update

DreamcastTM and I have had a quick look into this, but so far have found no solutions....we are not even sure where the problem lies at this point

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 pm
quote : #6
is starlancer working for anyone?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:27 pm
quote : #7
yes star lancer works. the trouble is that you will need to have at least one true dial up user to host the games.
Posted:
Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:34 am
quote : #8
gary_b wrote:
yes star lancer works. the trouble is that you will need to have at least one true dial up user to host the games.

Yeah, quite odd really

Has anybody actually managed to successfully host a game of starlancer using a PC-DC server? If so what type were you using, Win98/ME, Linux, what?

I am wondering if it could be either an inherent problem with the PC-DC server as it stands at the moment, or perhaps even a windows PC-DC server exclusive issue

Any input is appreciated

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:06 am
quote : #9
The thing I don't understand is how it could be the PC / DC server. As long as the ports are forwarded, there shouldn't be any problem. At the packet level, there shouldn't be any difference between a PC / DC server and an ISP.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:18 am
quote : #10
perhaps its similar to what happens with quake not reaching the master list? sometimes quake would work and sometimes it wouldn't. seems to me both of these games should function properly. could the DNS settings on the Dremacast affect hosting over a DC-PC server in anyway? maybe some other setting on the Dreamcast side could fix it, perhaps a modem command? the Dreamcast seems to connect slower over a PC-DC connection. i wonder if the game has some kind of bandwidth requirement for hosting? none of this seems likely but nothing else seems to make sense either.
Posted:
Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:20 am
quote : #11
gary_b wrote:
perhaps its similar to what happens with quake not reaching the master list? sometimes quake would work and sometimes it wouldn't. seems to me both of these games should function properly. could the DNS settings on the Dremacast affect hosting over a DC-PC server in anyway? maybe some other setting on the Dreamcast side could fix it, perhaps a modem command? the Dreamcast seems to connect slower over a PC-DC connection. i wonder if the game has some kind of bandwidth requirement for hosting? none of this seems likely but nothing else seems to make sense either.

I was also wondering if this could be similar to the Quake 3 issue with the master list, but like DreamcastTM says there really shouldn't be any real difference...perhaps we are missing something somewhere? I can't say I have ever tried Quake with my PC-DC server as I have the BBA, but from what I hear this master list issue only occurs with Windows based PC-DC servers.....is there a known reason for this? Anybody know?

I have looked through my PC-DC server settings many times for different reasons, as well as once in the last week for the starlancer issue but can't find any variations to the guide posted here at OC. The only two things that are slightly different are my DNS addresses, which are set to googles public DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) instead of the recommended 192.168.55.1 and also I have only the specified port forwarded in winroute rather than the full range.

The DNS addresses are set to googles on someones suggestion a while back (might have been DreamcastTM actually?) because of the issues I was having with gamespy, which have now vanished seemingly on their own accord.

As for the forwarded ports I only have the specified ones forwarded in winroute as I sometimes use my PC-DC server for hosting servers like quake or max pool.

Despite these two variation however, I have tried on many occassions with all the ports forwarded and with the specified DNS addresses, but still the problem persists...the only thing I can think to try now, (which I don't think I have tried before) is to try adding my PC-DC server local address to the DMZ in the router?

Anyway, I have waffled enough....but is interesting though and indeed frustrating....as always...anymore thoughts or ideas are welcome?

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Moopthehedgehog
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 pm
quote : #12
I'm not sure if this would help or not, but I know that for connecting with Quake 3 I need to use my ISP's DNS as DNS 1 & 2 (although I'm using a broadband adapter and connecting through a switch to a router). I don't think that dial-up uses a router, so I'm not sure how you'd be able to find the ISP's DNS. For a pc-dc server, then it shouldn't be so hard to find out.
Posted:
Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:56 pm
quote : #13
Type: PAL
Hi
Maybe a router with nat?

If you happen to have nat on your router you have to make sure that the forwarded port is staticaly (Static Port) setup (Nat is setup such a way that the outgoing port is randomly choosesn causing the client to drop the connection)
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:46 am
quote : #14
Moopthehedgehog wrote:
I'm not sure if this would help or not, but I know that for connecting with Quake 3 I need to use my ISP's DNS as DNS 1 & 2 (although I'm using a broadband adapter and connecting through a switch to a router). I don't think that dial-up uses a router, so I'm not sure how you'd be able to find the ISP's DNS. For a pc-dc server, then it shouldn't be so hard to find out.

Thanks for the input. Worth a thought, but I don't think this is the problem as I have used many different DNS addresses including my ISP's although not recently.

fallout wrote:
Hi
Maybe a router with nat?

If you happen to have nat on your router you have to make sure that the forwarded port is staticaly (Static Port) setup (Nat is setup such a way that the outgoing port is randomly choosesn causing the client to drop the connection)

Well, I am using DD-WRT custom firmware on my WRT610n V2 router and it does have a tab labeled "NAT / QoS" which is where my port forwards are setup for the PC-DC server. As far as I know it is all setup correctly but it's possible this is the source of the problem somwhere, as it does seem likely that the problem is port related. Would putting the PC-DC server in a DMZ be any good instead? Would this perhaps rule out or confirm a port issue?

Not sure where to go from here atm, so any further thoughts are welcome

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:12 pm
quote : #15
Type: PAL
Well I have no experience with that router firmware as I use pfsense. Reading a bit in there wiki it looks like the software should do it for you without additional user steps required.

Troubleshooting tips download 'gslist' to verify if you or your friend is listed in the serverlist, You can scan the gameserver rules with it aswell. I think starlancer uses old gamespy format

Use a packetlogger on your dc/pc server or router to sniff traffic on the gamespy masterserver port. Usually if something is wrong eg port not reachebal gamespy sends a message stating that it cannot connect to the port the gameserver uses, if this is the case it's a nat problem I had this with a gameserver I was running behind my router