Page 1 of 1
Teknophyl
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:53 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello all,

New person here, been a bit of lurker for a little while and tried finally to jump in online over the last couple of days.

I've been using a PC - DC server with CrunchBang and a Conexant chipset modem. Rev A DC modem also.

The modem makes a call and attempts a handshake... but the line noise appears to fade out. I then get connection failure messages on my DC, and mgetty logs a NO CARRIER signal.

I *am* getting the following message in mgetty's logs prior to commands being sent:

locking the line
WARNING: DSR is off - modem turned off or bad cable?
lowering DTR to reset modem

I've used 2 different cables (I don't know if attenuation is a factor here, they're both almost 20 feet), but still no dice.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

Tek

Teknophyl
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:23 am
quote : #2
I poked around a bit more and discovered that the WARNING line indicates a potential problem with the COM port. But I double checked to confirm that the port numbers match (it's using COM8, two total serial devices although the printer is using COM1 for some reason, since there's no printer attached to it).

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:53 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
are you simulating the line voltage?
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm
quote : #4
No, because I'm not 100% clear whether I'm supposed to add the inducer to the PCI modem or to the DC modem. It's a Revision A DC modem though. I can make an inducer easily enough but I don't know where it's supposed to "go".

But tinkering it with it more last night, now I'm not sure what it is. It behaves somewhat erratically. With a PC - DC connection via Crunchbang, the modem handshake always occurs. If I use WinXP and WinRoute, no handshake ever occurs. It's probably a modem command (I changed the registry's NO CARRIER and NO RINGTONE data but it didn't work).

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:34 pm
quote : #5
it adds the voltage to the line, that's all. Both the pci modem and the Dreamcast will be receiving it no matter what. Sounds like you should try it. I personally haven't had any luck with older pci modems. I'd suggest adding the line voltage (LVI) and trying. If it still wont work, use a zoom 3095. Either way, you should build an LVI for testing. Or you could always use a voice compatible serial modem. The trendnet one is tested and working.

Since you're using crunchbang, I assume you've read the guide I put up?
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:52 am
quote : #6
Kbuzz wrote:
it adds the voltage to the line, that's all. Both the pci modem and the Dreamcast will be receiving it no matter what. Sounds like you should try it. I personally haven't had any luck with older pci modems. I'd suggest adding the line voltage (LVI) and trying. If it still wont work, use a zoom 3095. Either way, you should build an LVI for testing. Or you could always use a voice compatible serial modem. The trendnet one is tested and working.

Since you're using crunchbang, I assume you've read the guide I put up?

I've been using Ryochan7's guide.

As far as where - what do I connect the LVI to?

In this example:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php#10

When it's all said and done, where does it "go"?

Thanks for your input.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 am
quote : #7
it supplies voltage to the line which is received by anything that's connected to it. DC, PC, Phone, etc.

I used crunchbang in my own guide.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/guides/pc-dc-server-guide-win7/