Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
Het_Nkik
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Okay, so I'm so desperate for these Jet Set Radio custom tags that I have hooked my Dreamcast up to my laptop to use my laptop as a monitor so I could move my Dreamcast close enough to a phone outlet to connect via the 56k modem. But that's not important.

The problem is, I can't connect to the internet using the Jet Set Radio browser.

I tried using fastfreedialup.com as it's I've seen it as a recommended free ISP for DC use. Used a demo disc I had with PlanetWeb 2.6 and just made up a name and password and entered one of their phone numbers. Worked great. Could browse the net fine using the PlanetWeb Browser.

Then I put in my Jet Grind Radio disc, went to the internet section, loaded that up, held A and pressed Start 10 times to unlock the extra functionality. Brought up the URL bar and entered google.com as a test.

The JSR browser brings me to a page that says:

Connecting to ISP...
Dialing...

And never leaves that page. Why can I connect to the net using other web browsers but not the one built into JSR? I tried using Juno as an ISP as well but got the same result in the JSR browser.

Help? Can anyone connect to the net using the JSR browser and give me detailed network settings (i.e. ISP used, "Pulse" or "Tone", etc.)?

I have spent way too many hours on this.

rjay63
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:01 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hi Het_Nkik, I am sorry to hear you having difficulty with JGR/JSR. While I don't have the game to hand, I'll list some things that may be helpful.

1. When you enter JGR web browser and it comes up with the 'select VMU option', press B to cancel this and move onto the frontpage. I find that selecting a VMU with a Planetweb save and then trying to go online with this browser causes connection problems. Your Dreamcast ISP are saved within the internal system, not the VMU.

2. JGR can only accept certain types of JPEG compressions. According to this guide at http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/197687-jet-grind-radio/faqs/8112, only Baseline Optimized or Baseline Standard can be used; Progressive is not compatible

3. If all else fails, you could try burning your compatible JPEGS to CD for use with Dream Explorer homebrew program (needs to be burned to CD too). I haven't ever tried this but it should be a case of loading up Dream Explorer on your DC, replacing that disc with your JPEG disc and then selecting the 'Explore CD' option. Dream Explorer is an operating system so once it's loaded you can take the disc out without the system resetting.

Hope this helps. Please ask if you need further assistance.