Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:23 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
as the title says, i am looking for Saturn imports that don't require understanding Japanese to play. i ordered bomberman fight from Japan about a week ago. while i'm waiting for it to get here i was wondering what else i could import? this lead me to a top 50 list on the web. you can find this list here. i'm sure that all of the games on this list are great, but could i play them with out being able to speak or understand any Japanese? i know Nikon is working on a import list, but will it be user friendly for me? also a PAL import list would be helpful too. idk if any good games are exclusive to PAL land or not?

here is what i would like. if possible could some one tell me what games on this list do not require knowing Japanese to play?
Posted:
Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:24 am
quote : #2
Games I own:

Dead or Alive (and probably most fighting games) is nearly 100% engrish. Just don't try to read the game case as the poor translation will give you a headache.

Sega Worldwide Soccer 98 is a great soccer game given the time and system it came out on. The game is 100% English. I believe it came out in the US too, but a game store near me had the JP version new for $7.

Deep Fear is a resident evil style game. The PAL version is in english and the game was not released in the US. The only problem is that playing it on a NTSC system cuts off a portion of the screen. I got around this by patching a JP version with the PAL executable file. This leaves only the item descriptions in Japanese, but there are pictures so you can figure it out (a grenade looks like a grenade etc.).

There is a translation project underway for the second and third scenarios of Shining Force III.

Metal Slug is 100% english. (requires ram cart)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:44 am
quote : #3
I think we can clear up a lot of redundancy if we just say any arcade game has either english, or no japanese langauge barriers to play it. Smile
Posted:
Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:03 am
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
I think we can clear up a lot of redundancy if we just say any arcade game has either english, or no japanese langauge barriers to play it. Smile

Good point. Maybe then, it would be a good idea to say which of the games from that list are based on arcade games. That information may not always be easy to find.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:10 pm
quote : #5
lmao metal slug was the only one on that list that i was sure i could play. i checked into it as soon as i saw it. people want 60-70 dollars for it though. that is a lot of money considering that i already have the game for another system Very Happy another game i might be able to play is Castlevania Dracula X . im not 100% sure that it didn't come out here or in pal land though?

as for the other games. i think i might be best off looking for games that i like screen shots and videos of and then making a list to ask about. i searched for lists but people often times don't warm you that you'll need to know Japanese to play the game. im sure i could find walkthroughs for some of the games, but would i still enjoy games like Panzer Dragoon Saga/Azel, Grandia and Shining Force III by using a guide to get through the games? i know these games are story driven, so it would probably take a lot away from them.

thanks for your help on all of this guys.
Posted:
Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:58 pm
quote : #6
gary_b wrote:
im sure i could find walkthroughs for some of the games, but would i still enjoy games like Panzer Dragoon Saga/Azel, Grandia and Shining Force III by using a guide to get through the games? i know these games are story driven, so it would probably take a lot away from them.

I initially bought the Japanese version of Panzer Dragoon Saga and played a ways into it with a guide. It was fine. Not good or great, but fine. You can at least appreciate the graphics and combat system (even though all berzerks and items are in Japanese). Later I decided to shell out the money for the real deal US version. The game has since become one of my favorites and I've played through it about 2.5 times (the game is pretty short, and is even shorter the second time because you know what to do).

Shining Force III is in the process of being translated so be patient on that one.

I would love to play Grandia, but not sure if I want to attempt an RPG in Japanese.
DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:17 pm
quote : #7
While its true that fighting/shooting and arcade games are playable with no nned for japanese (unless you want to nit pick about not enjoying the ending) it should be noted Vampire Saviour (needs 4MEG Ram card) can be played in English with a code the funny thing is the game gets censored in english.

I pretty decided to stay away from story / text heavy games in the import scene because I felt it crippled my enjoyment of the game.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:26 pm
quote : #8
shining force III is being translated and pressed to disc? or is a guide being made?
Posted:
Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 pm
quote : #9
The translators are making patches. You have to make an ISO of your OWN original copy of the game and apply the patch (they are adamant about not supplying ISOs to people). At that point you need a way to play backups on your saturn.
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:45 am
quote : #10
gary_b wrote:
another game i might be able to play is Castlevania Dracula X . im not 100% sure that it didn't come out here

If you can get your hands on it, try it! It's one of the best video games I have ever played through.
Not that it's all that important, but the Saturn version has a couple Exclusive areas, additional items/weapons, and exclusive enemies. Knowing no japanese, I still managed to beat the game with 200.12% completion.
It is a great game, and it comes highly recommended from me.