Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just picked up two Stunner light guns for Saturn along with Virtua Cop 2 and House of the Dead.

Virtua Cop 2
This game is a blast, especially with two players. The graphics are dated but not unpleasing to the eye and the gameplay is rock solid.

House of the Dead
I'm used to terrible Saturn graphics, but oh my...prepare yourself for pixels/polygons/whatever you want to call those things the size of your fist. Your accuracy has to be perfect as well, this game leaves little room for forgiveness as you'll find after fighting the first boss. I keep coming back to this one though.

I'll soon be playing the original Virtua Cop and I hope it holds up well to the second one.

Anyobody else own/played these or any of the other light gun games?
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:49 pm
quote : #2
House of the Dead inspite of your warning i'm still looking to get a copy for myself.

Virtua Cop 1 and VC2 are both good games
Area 51 and Maximum force will have you shooting all over the screen to find 'secrets' out of the 2 Area 51 seemed better to me.
Crypt Killer not the greatest but it has its 'stupid funny' moments.

Die Hard Trilogy (Die Harder: 2nd of the 3 games on the disc) I have'nt spent that much time with it to give a fair opinion of it.

Scud the dispoasble assasin tried to be innovative in making you play using the light gun and a control pad at the same time, once again not as much time spent on this as the first five in this list.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 am
quote : #3
i had several light gun games for the Saturn. i was disappointed with how so many of them lacked a calibration tool. VC1 and 2 had one if i remember correctly. aria 51 and die hard didn't. also i think die hard was only one player. its possible that there was a way to get a 2nd player to be able to use a gun? i am not sure though because you need the controller plugged into port 1 in order to set up the game.

my favorite thing to do was to get out two of my guns and and play single player. id have one gun for each hand. if you haven't already tried it you should. its a lot harder than you might think. trying to hit baddies with both hands at the same time is surprisingly difficult. you will find yourself wanting to use one gun at a time.
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:44 am
quote : #4
I was thinking about getting Area 51 because I used to play it in the arcade/movie theater quite a bit when it came out. How is the accuracy without a calibration tool? All the games I own have a calibration tool and before I calibrate the gun, the accuracy is not even close. You got me worried now.
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:54 am
quote : #5
on the rounded tube CRT that is in my living room it was pretty good. but for some reason it kind of sucked on the old rounded tv that i use to have in my bedroom. when i upgraded to a somewhat newer flat screen CRT HDTV in room it didn't want to work at all. my guess is that its going to be hit or miss depending on your tv.
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:03 pm
quote : #6
gary_b wrote:

my favorite thing to do was to get out two of my guns and and play single player. id have one gun for each hand. if you haven't already tried it you should. its a lot harder than you might think. trying to hit baddies with both hands at the same time is surprisingly difficult. you will find yourself wanting to use one gun at a time.

Dual wielding light guns a very good stress reliever at the end of a hard day
VC1 and 2 you simply had 2 lives (at the same time) and responsible for both at the same time.
Area 51 actually had a mode where you can use 2 at the same time on 1 life.

only problem with dual wielding is if you have a game that uses the button for a special attack not the most intuitive thing to do.
I had done it so much at home that I actually tried it on the arcade House of the Dead, of course I did'nt get far but very interesting.
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:16 am
quote : #7
I just got done giving Area 51 a play. For a game based on digitized video (one of the saturn's weaknesses) it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. I found it pretty entertaining and very playable.

The default gun calibration was pretty accurate. gary_b, I did find an option to calibrate the gun under the player configuration menu or something like that.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:45 am
quote : #8
How does the Saturn Light gun feel in comparison to the Dreamcast's? I still don't have a Saturn gun yet.
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:32 pm
quote : #9
I don't own any DC lightguns. I'm looking to get the official japanese DC light gun, which apparently means I'll have to get all imports in order to use it, but that's not a big deal.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 pm
quote : #10
The ultimate starting point might be the Virtua Cop Special Pack:

http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-game,,GS-9180,,Virtua-Cop-Special-Pack-Virtua-Cop-1-and-2-+-The- House-of-the-Dead-Taikenban-JPN.html

You get a light gun, VC 1 and 2, and a HOTD demo disc.
Posted:
Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:46 pm
quote : #11
I had a few 3rd party guns for the Saturn as well as the official Stunner and i had the Mad Catz gun for my Dreamcast. I like the feel of the Saturn Stunner more than the Mad Catz, but some games on the Saturn lack a calibration tool making the games harder to play and in some cases almost impossible. The TV i played on made some difference too. The 3rd party Saturn guns were fairly good, as was the stunner. the one 3rd party gun worked for PSX and Saturn making it a little more versatile. It felt and looked like the Justifier for Genesis, so i was already at home with it.
Posted:
Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 am
quote : #12
The Sega made light gun games for the Saturn are great and do include calibration tools. Die Hard Trilogy is one player only. Konami put out a game, Crypt Killer i think. Has anyone played that one? Im still personally looking to get Area 51 and Maximum Force.

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:01 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon's question about Saturn vs DC.
both guns Stunner(s) on Saturn and Madcatz guns worked well enough to get the job done for me. problem was there were not that many Dc gun games granted a few times in Hotd 2 I could of sworn I hit something.

Not so with the Stunners when I missed in most games I knew I had no one to blame but myself (in the right game) after holding a stunner through a game of VC you'll feel like you've walked a beat all night these guns might make you think you're Vash the stampede.

SupaHype: I own Crypt Killer its ranks pretty low among my shooters, but the game had me laughing out loud with some of the stuff going on in it.
(which was the aim of the game) . not great.