Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
rjay63
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:15 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hi there, I recently bought an RGB SCART cable for my PAL Megadrive and have enjoyed playing some old classics again. However I was disappointed to find my DVD Recorder couldn't record any gameplay footage as it could not recognise the Megadrive's video signal. After some research I saw a forum post where someone was having a similar issue with his capture card and it was suggested he could try plugging his Megadrive into a VCR first and then attaching it to his capture card. I tried something similar - I plugged my Megadrive into a VCR and then the VCR to the DVD recorder. Lo and behold.....it worked...I was able to record gameplay!

What I'd like to know is what the VCR did to the Megadrive video signal that made it recognisable to the DVD recorder. Did it alter the sync somehow? I do know that my VCR & DVD recorder both have RGB loopthroughs via SCART.

Many thanks
Posted:
Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
The megadrive has a sync signal that very few things want to sync to. It's possible that the VCR was able to clean it up just enough for the DVD recorder to sync to it. As for the technical aspects of what exactly the VCR did, I have no idea. See if your VCR has a time base corrector as that would help a great deal.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
rjay63
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:24 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
The VCR is a PAL Pacific PV619 (Asda/Walmart brand) circa 2002-2004 and was marketed as a mid-range machine. I've taken a look through the instruction manual and it mentions nothing about a Time Base Corrector, although it's possible it may have one. I do know that the machine can play both PAL and NTSC tapes and was designed to accept satellite equipment, hence the RGB SCART loopthrough. However it can only record PAL (50hz) broadcasts at composite quality.