Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
Anous
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Aw righty. I have decided on buying a dreamcast. The console seem like a fun thing to take with you, the games seems nice, interesting online capabilities, and it doesnt hurt that it lacks drm.

So, to the questions. I am going to buy a european system, since I am a Swede. I will get one bundled with a 33k modem, and here starts some questions;

Can I play with europeans and americans, and are there any europeans playing PSO or any other dreamarena games?

I live in Sweden, and Dial-Up is considered obselete and can't be purchased anymore. Therefore I have to do a PC-DC Server. When i do that, I have to have a USB modem and all that, but am I supposed to wire the dreamcast directly into the usb modem, or do I have to wire the dreamcast first into my modem, and then from my modem to the usb modem? modem modem modem its a funny word.

Now, I like western rpgs like Skyrim. Any games like that on Dreamcast?

And Half Life Gold on dreamcast, is it actually the full game?

And how good is the metal gear solid port?

Thank you all!

EDIT: oh oh, and how friggin cool wouldnt it be to have a @Dreamcast.com email adress! Seriously, some programmers need to fix that!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:11 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
First, welcome to the site Smile Second, I am only going to leave this thread open to answer these questions and any short follow ups that you might have. It is too easy for this thread to turn into a huge chatroom topic about everything Dreamcast. We try to keep topics here a bit more specific, focusing on individual topics. Also since this deals with a lot of online material, and the Dreamcast Lounge is for non-online topics, I have moved this to the support forum Wink

Anous wrote:
Can I play with europeans and americans, and are there any europeans playing PSO or any other dreamarena games?

Please see the Online Game List for a full list of compatible games. Blast and Segadreamcaster are some of our more active PAL players. They sure could use some more Maximum Pool players. Yes you can play with Europeans and Americans, but for some games you will have to import them. Like Quake 3 Arena for instance. The PAL version is no longer functional, so you will have to import the US version.

Luckily booting imports on the Dreamcast is a piece of cake. So if you have any concerns about cross region online play, there are no barriers.

Anous wrote:
I live in Sweden, and Dial-Up is considered obselete and can't be purchased anymore. Therefore I have to do a PC-DC Server. When i do that, I have to have a USB modem and all that, but am I supposed to wire the dreamcast directly into the usb modem, or do I have to wire the dreamcast first into my modem, and then from my modem to the usb modem? modem modem modem its a funny word.

You will need to upgrade to a 56k Dreamcast modem, as the higher throughput of the modem will give you better performance. However you can do early PC-DC server testing with the stock 33k modem. Do note that setting up a PC-DC server is complicated. See kingbuzzo's guide for a good Linux method (which is currently the best at the moment). You just need a lot of time, and a lot of patience.

Right now the PC-DC forum here is like a calvalcade of information. It really needs to be broken down and turned into more refined guides. This is a ways off though as a lot of re-testing needs to be done with current PC-DC methods. But for all of your PC-DC troubleshooting needs, hit up the PC-DC forum.

Anous wrote:
Now, I like western rpgs like Skyrim. Any games like that on Dreamcast?

Most of the really great RPG's on the Dreamcast are system exclusives developed by Japanese developers. Many of the western RPG's on the DC are actually ports of PC games. Some of these include:

Gauntlet Legends, Silver, and Omikron the Nomad Soul

Omikron is probobly whatyou would want to check out if you want an emersive experience with lots of dialogue panels.

Gauntlet is a dungeon crawler and Silver I havn't played yet.

The game I would really recomend, which is more like Diablo, is Record of Lodoss War. This is a Dreamcast system exclusive, and its actually developed by a Japanese developer. A quality game, and highly recommended.

Please do seek out or create topics for any of these RPG's in the Dreamcast Lounge. Usually we try to make topics for individual games when possible.

Anous wrote:
And Half Life Gold on dreamcast, is it actually the full game?

Yep it is the full game

Anous wrote:
And how good is the metal gear solid port?

Its not a port, but rather a boot disc that emulates the PS1 on the Dreamcast. The game is supposed to run perfect all the way through. Its not like its some janky broken experience. The bleemcast official discs that were released aimed to get MGS, Gran Turismo and Tekken 3 working as best as possible. They run pretty much just like their PS1 counterparts but on the Dreamcast. You will need a dedicated VMU for these though.
Posted:
Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:17 am
quote : #3
I failed at ebay, and I am now obligated too buy a Dreamcast, all leads, two controllers, two vmus and two rumble pack for 30 gbp or about 45 usd. Kinda happy though Cool

My dreamcast is a pal, and I'd happily play some maximum pool with those two persons you mentioned as fast as I can get the thing running online. Thanks for the fast answers and I cant frikkin wait for my dreamcast!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 pm
quote : #4
Cool, I hope you enjoy your DC when it arrives Wink
Posted:
Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:14 pm
quote : #5
I just got another set-up on ebay, couldn't resist!

(unboxed) Console, 2 x controllers, VMU and an official lightgun all for £16 pounds (about $24). Bargain Very Happy

Quick question its the HKT-3030 PAL with a 1 in the circle on the bottom label. Does anyone know if its a model that's compatible with boot disks?

polywhirlist
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:59 pm
quote : #6
Man. I am so excited. I just got my DC in from eBay and didn't even realise all that it was really capable of.
I just wanted to play Soul Caliber. Definitely checking out Metal Gear Solid! I am having a terrible time with a PC-DC server though. Gonna try dual booting Linux on my PC and trying from scratch.

Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:02 pm
quote : #7
Metal Gear Solid via Bleem? Never tracked down the Bleemcast disc myself, they pop up on eBay every now and again but are always over priced in my opinion. Would like to have it for the collection though, so maybe one day I'll take the plunge Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:22 am
quote : #8
This is turning into a chatroom topic. Let's break off into the relevant forums/posts.

Such as the Metal Gear Solid (Bleemcast) thread.

Thanks all Wink