Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
alextheman45
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
BAD NEWS: the servers might go down for good.
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:45 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yes GameSpy was acquired by a mobile solutions company, and as such, it has started shutting down online servers for games across all platforms without warning, even asking bounties from 3rd party companies of 10's of thousands of dollars to keep the servers running. It is pretty obnoxious, but yet another example of how no online service lasts forever.

We do have a starlancer server alternative, however due to the complexity in setting it up and the number of required applications (including an IRC server), it brings a series of security related issues into play.

It isn't the end of the line for Starlancer, just a bump in the road.
Posted:
Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
Good news, I think Microsoft is the publisher of starlancer.
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:04 am
quote : #4
*scratches head* How is it good news that MS was the publisher?
Posted:
Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:18 am
quote : #5
Can we do a test of the new connection method sometime in the future? I was just in on a five player game last month. Cool that I finally got to play online Starlancer, a tutorial on how to set up this new method would be greatly appreciated.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:54 am
quote : #6
Everything from making the tutorial to getting a proper OC server environment running is going to take some time. I don't know when I will be able to devote some time to this at the moment as I have a lot of projects running concurrently. There is work that needs to be done on PSO and Q3 that takes higher priority. Seeing as how we are coming up on OC having been up for almost 10 years, it is safe to say that I will still be around doing my best for DC online. So a starlancer server will be hosted by OC at some point in the future, I just can't say for sure how soon that will be.

Also, there are some legal things that need to be sorted out as well. I need to follow up with the original server author whom I collaborated with on getting the server coded. I want to make sure the right credits and open source documentation are all provided before I put up a proper tutorial.
Posted:
Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:24 pm
quote : #7
Members at another DC forum have reported that the gamespy server is still up.

I have no way to verify, still working out some bugs in my connection to 4x4evo and Starlancer. Confused