Page 1 of 1
captainragequit
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:43 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So, can someone explain and describe how this works and how to set this up online? im desperate to get online but I don't want to be limited the way broadband works and I dont want to set up for dial up. I'm from ASSEMbler where a user described a setup with a telephone line simulator and a netopia router. How does one hook this up, what do I need in specifics and how much will it cost in total?

WildCard
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:43 am
quote : #2
You use a TLS or other phone line simulator to get the proper voltage and "phone signal" over a phone line from the DC to the netopia router. The Netopia has twin 56k modems which can also be used in a dial-in configuration to access a shared broadband connection.

You will need a Teltone TLS (or similar the viking dle-200b was confirmed to work as well) and a netopia R2020 (the r2000 i think may work also).

If you are lucky you will be able to get both of the above for around $50 each. If you are unlucky look to pay $100+ for the TLS and $75+ for the netopia.

If you jump on ebay right now there are some netopia's for a decent price http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=netopia+r202&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_n kw=netopia+r2020&_sacat=0

The phone line simulator is usually much harder to find a decent deal on, honestly you might be better off just getting a new viking 200b for ~$100 than waiting for a decently priced teltone to come up for sale and trying to bid on it.

If you are still interested and need more info i can point you in the right direction.

captainragequit
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 pm
quote : #3
Sure. Is there a guide anywhere on how to set this up?
Will this get me the same amount of accessability as a dialup connection would?

WildCard
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:41 pm
quote : #4
Check your PMs.

Technically it does act the same as a dial-up connection, but Starlancer and 4x4 Evo are notorius for their bad dialing programs and will only connect with the Netopia about 1 out of 15 times (sometimes more, sometimes less) in my experience and there is also the issue that some routers don't seem to allow the correct data through to the internet connection to make those same two games playable (i own such a router Sad and don't have the extra money to throw at a new one right now).

captainragequit
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 pm
quote : #5
so what setup do you use? Do I have to connect it to my router or can I connect it to my computer if it has an ethernet port?

WildCard
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:54 pm
quote : #6
I have a Teltone TLS-3B, Netopia R2020 running through a Linksys WRT54G running custom firmware. I have once run my netopia DC connection through my laptop which connects to the internet wirelessly by bridging the two connections (wireless and ethernet) seems to work fine. I assume that is what you are talking about ?

captainragequit
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:55 am
quote : #7
exactly. This is music to my ears because I have family who are only mildly tech savvy, and as a result they're paranoid that I'd ruin the internet by trying to connect a dial up to their broadband router. they don't particularly understand how it all works, so it's great to know I can just hook it up that way.

WildCard
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 am
quote : #8
Well you would just have an ethernet cable running from the router to the netopia which is itself a router. Theres no guarantee that the wireless bridge will work on your computer, some have reported that it does not work for them. You'll have to experiment.