Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:13 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I recently discovered a feature that's part of the command set of some voice modems that enables it to produce tones. The latter is of interest to us since the US dial-tone and others are a combination of two frequencies (440Hz and 350Hz in the US).

This means that swapping the line for games like Quake 3 Arena wouldn't be needed anymore since the modem itself is producing the dialtone.

Below is an ordered list of AT commands that initialize the modem, produce a dialtone for 2.5 seconds and answers the call. To check if the "AT+VTS" command is supported, or to get the parameter value ranges supported by it, use "AT+VTS=?"

# resets the modem
     ATZE1

# puts the modem into voice mode
     AT+FCLASS=8

# opens the connection
     AT+VLS=1

# produces the tone
     AT+VTS=[440,350,255]

# closes the connection so it can answer
     ATH

# answers the connection
     ATA

* Usage: The first two parameters are the desired frequencies. The third parameter is the duration of the tone and is the desired time (in milliseconds) / 10. If the square brackets do not work, try using "{ }" backets as an alternative.

* Note: Some voice modems use "#" instead of the "+" character for the VLS and VTS commands. If the modem is returning "ERROR" after sending either command, try replacing the character.

Last edited by Dreamcast ™ on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Favrenation
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:46 am
quote : #2
How exactly would you enter this on a windows machine?

Neoblast
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:10 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Using hyperterminal, a windows bundled program
START->EXECUTE->hypertrm.exe

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:58 pm
quote : #4
Is there a way to find out if a modem supports it, before setting everything up?

Thank you.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 pm
quote : #5
Yes - use Hyperterminal to send the commands to the modem. Once you set up Hyperterminal, you will see a white screen. Click on it and type "ATZE1" and then press the "enter / return" key. "OK" should appear in the window. Keep entering the commands list above (in the order they're listed). If you receive "ERROR" as a reply from the modem, then that command isn't supported.

kalet
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 pm
quote : #6
How can I use this with my linux PC-DC server??

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 am
quote : #7
I'm not sure. I haven't tried to set up a Linux server yet, but I'd imagine you could just add the line wherever the AT commands are set / sent since it's not platform specific, but hardware specific.