Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
lopsopqwerty
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
i was thinking about methods of connecting system link like xlink kai an xbconnect. I was wondering if anybody has thought about doing lan tunneling like that for dreamcast. it probably isn't possible because the dreamcast doesn't use ethernet but I was just thinking a lot about it.

Metal Hedgehog
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 am
quote : #2
It uses Ethernet. Good luck finding an Ethernet box thing for the dreamcast.

Those are hard to come by.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:39 pm
quote : #3
Being able to use ethernet and sending traffic over ethernet are two different things. There was an effort a few years ago to work on tunneling virtual on. The difference was that virtual on happens to send traffic over Ethernet due to the game's programming.

Latency is the enemy of all tunneling projects. If you have some novel ideas, best of luck.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:37 am
quote : #4
While the Dreamcast does have games that are Broadband that use the BBA/Ethernet, no Dreamcast games have a "LAN" mode. XLink Kai and XBconnect tunnel LAN games, which are titles that already work over a local network, but are bridged or "tunneled" across the net to another user, making the console think that players are residing on the same local network.

The Dreamcast doesn't have any game that qualifies for this scenario.

The situation with Virtual On was "sort of" Tunneling, but more along the lines of trying to establish a direct-ip environment. The latency was a problem with this last time DCTM and I attempted to test it. It simply couldn't maintain the connection to even advance forward in the DC VS Cable process.