rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Activity in Q3 sort of dropped off when 2 key events happened:

1.) The master list at master.quake3arena.com died
2.) and more specifically, when the DDOS problem reared it's head, preventing OC from running it's dedicated servers.

We have already established that we have a rather strong BBA community here with many members reporting that they do own BBA's.

I think one of the key things we can do to get Dreamcast Q3 more active again is to get the master list populated with as many servers as possible, via community members hosting a Q3 server (even if that server is not stable all the time). I think when we host a server on our home internet connection we feel we should have to not use the internet for things like music streaming, torrents, and web browsing because it could lag out players. My thinking is, don't worry about this too much. If there are enough servers in the list to choose from, this becomes less of a problem. So for instance I might keep a server running from my local internet, and if I am using my bandwidth and it gets laggy for users, that should be "okay" because users can just migrate to another server that is stable.

So here is what I am proposing:

• Have a spare PC laying around? Run a DC compatible Quake 3 Server that points to OC's master list
  • Run 1 bot on the server so when there is just 1 player, they have someone to play against while waiting for a Human opponent.
  • Users are encouraged to diversify depending on what other servers are listed. If there are a lot of vanilla servers already in the list, run a freeze tag mod server instead.
  • Try using various tactics to avoid getting sucked into a DDOS swarm: Run linux with a custom IP Tables Config, do NOT list your server on gametracker.com, etc

Maybe you have a small netbook you no longer user anymore, or an old PC that is collecting dust in the corner. If you do, power it up and run a Q3 server. I feel that we could consistently have 25 servers in the master list if various members contributed.
Posted:
Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am
quote : #2
yo nikon i can host a few q3a servers i gots some servers here like vanilla,deathgun ,rails and if you want me to run a touny server holla and let me know Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Posted:
Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:45 am
quote : #3
i got 2 servers running now i haven't seen which what type of game they are running but i will make some adjustments Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Posted:
Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:49 pm
quote : #4
Awesome, thanks loki101. You are pointing to OC's master list right? I really need to put that in one of our guides. Right now it is only in a news post.
Posted:
Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:21 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
Ok have my DC compatible server online and running on an old windows laptop, I set the following in the ctf config file ~

sv_hostname "DC DreamOnArena"
sv_master1 "master.onlineconsoles.com"
sv_master2 "master.quake3arena.com"

everything else I left as the default from your guide.

Is this enough to let people see and connect to my server?

I plan to have it on Midday to Midnight GMT most days, but am happy to have it in to facilitate anyone looking a game. Let me know sure Smile

peens
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:18 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U
Hey, does anyone still play this? I just fired my dreamcast up for the first time in a while, and I cannot connect the to master server list anymore. perhaps I am doing something wrong, or I read that the master server list is down for the time being. is that still an issue?

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:20 pm

If someone can enlighten me with this, and help me get online by tomorrow, it would be cool to have a 'Fraggin Friday' event again, possibly breathe some life back into it again. Any suggestions?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:56 pm
quote : #7
Hey peens Wink

idSoftware shutdown the list at master.quake3arena.com, so OC hosts a new one. The new master list that OC hosts is accessible by setting your Dreamcast's DNS to the following IP Address: 66.94.123.66
Posted:
Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:39 pm
quote : #8
awesome, thanks for the info. anyone interested in a game this week?

peens
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:28 pm
quote : #9
ok so I set the Primary DNS to the address you gave above, and still nothing. what am I doing wrong now? haha

Endymion
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 am
quote : #10
I'd like to know what's up with this as well, I tried to get a list populated to see if anybody was playing last night and could not get anything. This goes in the primary DNS entry when starting up an Internet Game from the menu, right?

peens
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:18 pm
quote : #11
someone help us out and lets get a game going tonight! fraggin' friday!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 am
quote : #12
Hey guys, so one thing I noticed is that for some bizarre reason, the OC gameserver's DNS is not responding to any requests for the quake master list. There are a ton of DNS requests for Tribes, but I haven't seen any in the list for Quake.

The OC hosted Q3 master list is working, and is listing servers, but the DNS app isn't reporting any quake 3 master list queries.

I will try to look into this as soon as I can, hopefully in the next few days.
Posted:
Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:29 pm
quote : #13
There's something I don't get here.

lordnikon wrote:
Activity in Q3 sort of dropped off when 2 key events happened:

1.) The master list at master.quake3arena.com died

I just fired up Quake 3 Arena on my PC here to get a quick fix in and the list is completely populated without my changing any master server or list. Is this really down or are they just not listing to the DC any longer?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:19 pm
quote : #14
Interesting... The Master List might be back up and may have been stable since December of 2012. Here is the thread over at quake3world:

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45699&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=105

There has been sporadic master list stability where it was on and off throughout 2012.

If it is back up and stable, that is great. Then it can be a new primary master list and points of contact like OC's q3 master list can be secondary fallbacks for when things go haywire.
Posted:
Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:55 pm
quote : #15
soo, reset all dns setting back to 0.0.0.0?