Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:06 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was reading an article on clipboard the other day and came across this article. Thought it was an interesting read.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/7/4599588/why-did-the-dreamcast-fail-segas-marketing-veteran-looks-bac k

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
That is a fantastic article. It puts to rest many controversial talking points that fans would speculate for endless hours on forums. The comments about online in this are also great.

People always seem to paint some picture that something was wrong with the Dreamcast itself. That the Dreamcast or its games were somehow flawed. To be perfectly honest, the Dreamcast is the one game console that succeeded, and has managed to reach legendary status within the video game community. In this regard, the Dreamcast has been a resounding success and I think more Dreamcast fans need to embrace this stance rather than going on various diatribes about if only EA supported the platform and why didn't they support DVDs.

When the author asks, "So why did the system fail?", the answer Takezaki gives is exactly what happened. Business failed, not the console. I think the hardware manufacturing comment gives great insight into what "business" actually means.

One part in the article I take issue with: The author of the article makes the wrong conclusion based on Takezaki's comments about mass market appeal. This is not failt of Takezaki, but the author's interperetation, who writes: "it was also casual-friendly, going completely away from the hardcore gamer-oriented trend". As we all know here, this is... well wrong. The Dreamcast was just as hardcore as any other previous Sega Console, even more-so. Its just that with the Dreamcast they brought more casual friendly games in addition to the hardcore games. Not only this, but I feel they marketed hardcore games to a mass market audience better with the Dreamcast. I feel the Dreamcast was a very competative console for offline multiplayer. People fondly remember long sessions with Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and Power Stone on the Dreamcast. So the authors assertion that the Dreamcast went "completely" away from hardcore, is a bit off the mark.

Nice find Wargo Wink