Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
cheryablinsk70
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:43 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Alright, so I'm trying to set up a PC-DC server with a Win98 computer and it's not working so far. Here are a couple of things I was wondering that might help me if they were answered.

1. Do I need a voice modem if I'm using Win98? Also, if so, why?

2. What error will come up on the Dreamcast or the PC if I don't use a line voltage simulator and one is needed?

3. Is the Dreamcast supposed to make the typical dialing sounds when it attempts to connect?

4. Can anyone point me to what they think is the easiest to use and/or best tutorial on how to set up a PC-DC server?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:06 pm
quote : #2
According to the guide on this site, yes, you will need a voice modem, although I have never tested this claim. The Dreamcast doesn't make the dialing noises most modems do when I tried to connect with any of my games, (I've connected EVO 4x4, Max Pool, NFL 2K1, Propeller Arena, and Ooga Booga to the internet. Of course, with the last three, although I could connect to the internet, I couldn't play!) I don't know about your other questions, though.
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:38 pm
quote : #3
Thanks for your answers. They should give me a little help in figuring out what's wrong with my server.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:34 pm
quote : #4
typically, as far as the line simulator, if you are using an exterenal / usb modem you shouldnt need one. if you want to play it safe (easier) look for a type A dreamcast modem on ebay, that way you wont need a line simulator either way.

The internal modem must be a voice modem, and depending on the brand/type of modem, you MAY hear the pc modem dial when you hit connect.
With my pc/dc server, when I hit connect I hear the pc modem "click" to receive the dreamcast's "call".

if its not working properly, the dreamcast will probably have a message saying "no dial tone" or something to that effect, and the pc will give you a message saying "your modem is not operating properly" - or something like that, at least mine did.

As far as a tutorial, I followed the one here on the site, and it worked for me on the first try. But I must say that I did a lot of research before I even started putting together the pc that i used for this.
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
cheryablinsk70
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:27 pm
quote : #5
Alright, now I have a type A modem, I have a voice modem in my computer, and the dreamcast connects to the PC just fine. However, now the Dreamcast can't connect to the internet through the PC, even though the PC is connected to the internet. Any ideas on what could be up?

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:34 pm
quote : #6
is the dreamcast saying " can not connect to host "? - or something like that when trying to connect using a web browser (planetweb, etc)?
Hawkzero
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:34 pm
quote : #7
jjc5150 that is exactly what is happening to me. Any thoughts as to a solution? btw im using vmware win 98 (guest) on a win 7 laptop

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:23 pm
quote : #8
Hi Hawk,
Honestly im not exactly sure. what version of the Dreamcast modem do you have?
Mostly likely it is due to the modem in your laptop, not being a "voice modem" , or it could be because you're basically using emulation software of windows 98 etc, on a windows 7 pc. you may need to make a line simulator if you have a type B Dreamcast Modem.

Keep in mind that most of us that have had this working in the past have basically built these on actual windows 98 machines that we had lying arround, or got at a garage sale, ebay, etc.

Myself and another member even worked together and got it working on old g3 series mac machines several years back.

To make a long story short, Im not exactly sure it will work on current hardware,.... keep in mind this is a system from 1999/2000, and you kinda need a computer from that time era which has compatable hardware.

Best of luck getting it to work, if you have more questions I will try and help as best as I can.
-Drez01-
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:19 am
quote : #9
The problem with VMware is that it does not emulate or handle an internal dialup modem correctly. I've heard of people getting it to work with usb dialup adapters (voice and windows 98 compatible) but I have never tried. Confused

Here is a tutorial that might help:

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/guides/pc-dc-server-guide-win7/