lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi All,

So far our "Armada" Community Play has been going rather well. It has spurred people to power on their Dreamcast's, and also engage with fellow community members about their gaming experience. Vol 1 will continue onward, but I wanted to take a moment to ask everyone for ideas on Vol 2.

The only rule is that the game has to be something that has depth and doesn't spoil a story by talking about it. There has to be some sort of progression, exploration, character grinding, or unlockable progress with varrying bars for success/failure. As such fighting games like Capcom vs SNK, or something like Grandia or Sonic Adventure would not work well for what we have in mind.

Some game ideas I had were:

• Sega GT
  • Record of Lodoss War

Another great idea might be to have a community play centered around generating a Translation Guiide for a game that has no previous translation. We would all learn how to play the game together as a group, and also could help future players at the same time.

(P.S. If you havn't started playing Armada yet, do get involved!)
Posted:
Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
I bought Sega GT way back when the prices of the Dreamcast games started to drop. I prefer arcade racing games over simulation so maybe that’s one of the reasons I didn’t played it much. One thing I really like about Sega GT is the VMU mini game. It’s the best VMU mini game that I´ve played, and it’s really well done. So maybe this community play idea is an opportunity to give it another try, if this is the game selected.

But even if this is the game selected I may only play it occasionally, because I’m trying to sort my time around everything I need and want to do and doesn’t give much free time left to another game. Also, still need to give some more time to Armada.

Maybe this is also the reason at this moment that I don’t feel like I want to play Record of Lodoss War. I understand it’s a good game for this community play for the reasons Lordnikon said. But I don’t feel like I want to play such a grinding game at the moment. Maybe if I didn’t start playing some PSO regularly again. I never played Record of Lodoss War.

In the last year I've been playing some Dreamcast games: Started and completed Alone in the Dark, been trying to advance further into Ecco The Dolphin, and doing some Puzzles in Chu Chu Rocket. Not to mention Armada of course.
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:05 pm
quote : #3
Okay cool, we can put Record of Lodoss War on the back burner. Since Armada is a bit of a grind game, maybe something else is in order. Any other recommendations from people could be good.

I was mainly thinking of Sega GT because of car unlocks, etc. Maybe a really simple game should come after Armada?
Posted:
Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:33 am
quote : #4
Hey any chance down the road we could have a high score section on the site? Maybe like a score attack? As far as games idk.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun May 04, 2014 4:57 am
quote : #5
Yea I remember trying to experiment with this at one point with shmups but wasn't sure I wanted to do it at the time. I will have to bring that back very soon.

Any ideas for Community Play Vol 2?
Posted:
Sun May 04, 2014 6:05 am
quote : #6
Dragon Riders: Chronicles of Pern gets my vote. I almost made it through this game, but that was a long time ago. I'd like to play through it again.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 pm
quote : #7
Huh. I got cought watching some clips of that on youtube. Very surprised at how good the voice acting was. Sounded great.

I am not sure about games that would have a single player story. Since dicussing them could spoil the experience for people who havn't gotten to a certain area in the game yet.