Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I recently picked up Arnold Palmer's Tournament Golf and finally played it last night. I was pleasantly surprised by the straightforward, accessible nature of the game. No need to worry about golfer stats or sponsorships; you simply pick a club, tee off, and continue until you land in the hole.

On that note, I was wondering if any other golf games on the Genesis are worth checking out. Here is a list of golf games released for the Sega Genesis. If you have played any of the games on that list, please post your impressions and whether or not you'd recommend the game. Right now, I'm currently eying PGA Tour 3, but I'm receptive to other suggestions.

I'm also opening the floor to discussion on the 32X's lone golf title, Golf Magazine: 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples. The user reviews are positive, but I'm curious to know if anybody here at OC has played this game.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:16 pm
quote : #2
Wow that is quite the list of golf games. I didn't realize that many were released on the genesis.

There is definatly some variety here. I noticed some interesting stuff in many games in the list, but I will spread it out a bit for the sake of discussion.

Did you see Chi Chi's Pro Challenge Golf? The game runs in a strange montage letterbox mode with a background wallpaper.
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:53 pm
quote : #3
I watched some footage of Chi Chi's Pro Challenge Golf and that game definitely looks different from the majority of the golf games on the Genesis. It seems as though the developers opted to emulate the SNES's Mode 7 instead of rendering the holes with polygons. Unfortunately, the effect looks very muddy and doesn't effectively convey the lay of the land.

Also, I forgot to include the Sega CD in this discussion. There are a grand total of two golf games released for the Sega CD: Dynamic Country Club, an import based on the 1991 Sega arcade release, and Links: The Challenge of Golf. I don't expect anyone here has played Dynamic Country Club, but I'd like to hear impressions on Links.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:58 pm
quote : #4
Oh man thats right, I forgot about Sega CD also. I wonder how those games play, and if the audio is nice.