ENunn
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:40 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hello

I think my Dreamcast is dying. Sad I just got a game yesterday, or the day before...I dunno. I popped it in the Dreamcast and it wouldn't read. When I selected the Game option, it said "Please Insert Game Disk"...ARE YOU STUPID DREAMCAST?!?! There is clearly a game in there. Before I got the game, my Mom calibrated the lazer...twice. We inserted an old copy that we had after we calibrated it, and it still wouldn't read. Yesterday, or the day before...I think, and after it wouldn't read, Mom cleaned the lens with alcohol (and I don't mean beer or wine. xD). We popped the game back in and the Dreamcast made a funny noise. Like a motorcycle starting up. No dice. I popped in another game and it made the same sound, only to greet me with nothing. Absolutely nothing. "Please Insert Game Disc".

It won't read any game that I own...seriously. Can anyone please help? Sad

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:41 am
quote : #2
The Dreamcast always sounds like a motorcycle Wink

What are you doing to calibrate the lens?

Also, one issue I have noticed is that if the Dreamcast thinks the lid is open, it will give the Please Insert Game Disk error.

1.) With No Disc in the system, open the lid all the way, and then lower it down pressing it down firmly.
2.) Open the lid letting it naturally open
3.) Insert game disk
4.) Once again, firmly close the lid to the system
5.) Hold it down towards the far backside where the lid sensor is.
6.) Wait and see if it boots the game.

Do not press down too hard, not that much pressure is needed. You run the risk of damaging the disc or the lens if you cram your hand down onto the lid. Gentle pressure will do fine. If that doesn't work... don't press harder. It means your GD-ROM drive might be on its way out (dying).
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:17 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
The Dreamcast always sounds like a motorcycle Wink

I know it does. But it doesn't sound like it usually does when it reads the disc. It's like it tourtures it. It spins like mad when I open the lid before it stops.

lordnikon wrote:
What are you doing to calibrate the lens?

I opened the DC and adjusted the lazer.

lordnikon wrote:
Also, one issue I have noticed is that if the Dreamcast thinks the lid is open, it will give the Please Insert Game Disk error.

1.) With No Disc in the system, open the lid all the way, and then lower it down pressing it down firmly.
2.) Open the lid letting it naturally open
3.) Insert game disk
4.) Once again, firmly close the lid to the system
5.) Hold it down towards the far backside where the lid sensor is.
6.) Wait and see if it boots the game.

Do not press down too hard, not that much pressure is needed. You run the risk of damaging the disc or the lens if you cram your hand down onto the lid. Gentle pressure will do fine. If that doesn't work... don't press harder. It means your GD-ROM drive might be on its way out (dying).

I will try that once I get home from school! Smile

ENunn
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:52 pm
quote : #4
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!!!

I'M GETTING SO PISSED!!! I GOT THIS GAME THE OTHER DAY!! I HAVEN'T GOT TO PLAY IT YET BECAUSE OF THIS STUPID DRIVE!!! I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING!!! CALIBRATED THE LASER, CLEANED THE LENS, WHAT YOU SAID...NOTHING F*CKING WORKS!!!!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:55 pm
quote : #5
Someday you will learn to be more patient and not barf on people's message boards.

Today is not that day.
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:05 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
Someday you will learn to be more patient and not barf on people's message boards.

Today is not that day.

Yeah, sorry about that. This is the second DC that broke. Thanks for your help. I'm just gonna buy another one. Thanks again for your help! Sad

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:47 pm
quote : #7
Yea chill out a bit. Smile There are plenty of Dreamcast's out there, so you can score another one.

You can keep the existing DC around for spare parts, or, maybe sell it on ebay for 5.00 + SH and maybe someone else can breath new life into it.
Posted:
Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 pm
quote : #8
I found what caused it! Very Happy

The laser calibration was WAAAAAYY too off. My Mom turned the laser to the default calibration and it started reading discs again! Still won't read that new game though. Ugh, Amazon gave me a broken copy. It's in perfect condition. Oh well. At least I have a backup disc that works.

Sorry for raging!