Page 2 of 3
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:21 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
OC Game Server Migration has been completed.

Please update your Dreamcast DNS configuration to use the following new IP Address (replace the old one):

ONLINE: Quake 3 Master List up and running - We are still waiting for the DNS A NAME record for master.onlineconsoles.com to update with the new IP Address. You might need to restart your Quake 3 Arena server if it is being pointed to our master list. One user has consistantly hosted Q3 servers that point to the OC master list (as well as others). If you are out there, give a restart to your server to it can resolve a new IP for master.onlineconsoles.com.
ONLINE: Maximum Pool is up and running (update to the VMS/VMI file pending).

(Note: Unfortunatly, there are connection interruption issues when trying to run the ToyRacer server in certain environments. As such we cannot reliably provide this service at this time. See this post for full details.)

The Services for GC PSO and PS2 TAA are also back online.

More server services for Dreamcast are on the way, along with more open PSO access, our Q3 servers we used to run are going back up, a Planet Ring server, and much more...

All of this information will be in a much more prominant place, which is another task I am working on.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Posted:
Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:42 am
quote : #17
ONLINE: An OC hosted Deathmatch Q3 server is now up and running, and in the list. A few more will be added once I configure them. I tested it out and it works, so if you connect to the masterlist, there is a server to play on. The ping is good and the clouds are smooth.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:45 am
quote : #18
ONLINE: A CTF Quake 3 Server has now been added!

These 2 servers should be good for now as I plan the next evolution of our support for Quake 3.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:23 pm
quote : #19
Phase 2 of our server overhaul is now in progress.

I have been working on getting Starlancer's servers up for most of the weekend.
Posted:
Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 pm
quote : #20
Good news everyone (as Professor Farnsworth would say).

I am flying around asteroid arena right now on Starlancer. My dreamcast was able to sign online with starlancer, reach the master list, redirect to the necessary services, create a game match, type messages in the chat window, and start the match.

We still to run some tests, especially a successful one with 2 players. Also I have to make sure the chat server ports are setup securely. I don't believe one of them needs to be open.

This is a big step forward.
Posted:
Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:05 pm
quote : #21
ONLINE: Starlancer server is now online.

DreamcastTM and I had successful gameplay this evening. Everything wortked and we played for about an hour.

If using DNS, redirect your IP to: 142.4.223.231

If using a PCDC server with manual domain resolutions, you can map these assignments yourself:

master.gamespy.com       192.99.46.201
peerchat.gamespy.com    192.99.46.201
Posted:
Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:49 am
quote : #22
Fantastic!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:21 pm
quote : #23
I am aware of some cross chatter on why the executable server binaries are not easily available for Starlancer at the moment, despite OC now hosting the server.

I want to be very clear:

While I am the Administrator of a website (onlineconsoles), my actions are always aimed towards supporting Dreamcast Online as a whole, not just OC.

My long term roadmap is:

1. ...for OC to provide a strong and stable online infrastructure for the DC Online community
2. ...for all server binaries to be in the hands of the public so any user/community can run their own server
3. ...for documentation and tutorials to be available so users know HOW to run the servers

The above steps are happening in sequence and they all take time. It took me a few weeks to re-trace how to put the Starlancer Server environment online, then to successfully test it, and write up basic documentation.

I still have to re-contact the original developer to verify how he wants his name to be represented and what should be released. A LOT of time has passed since this project was last touched (over a decade). It is out of respect to the developer that I worked with on this project that this step needs to take place.

Further-more, while the documentation I have written allows me to get the server up and running, it still needs more work for the average user to understand all that is involved.

Please also keep in mind that I am working on a variety of software preservation efforts relating to the gaming community abroad that offset when some of these tasks are completed. I was working on Starlancer, and then I was working building complete documentation for PSO servers (for the entire community, not just OC), and now I am rushing against a deadline to get a significant portion of content from googlecode archived before google rolls out their first wave of changes in August geared towards googlecode's eventual termination in 2016.

Server work and research contributions for DC Online are taking place in 'Phases'. I completed a huge chunk of work in December of 2014 during our initial server migration, then more this spring, and I will most likely be circle back to hitting a Phase 3 milestone towards the end of the summer.

If you want to run your very own Starlancer server for yourself or for another community, you WILL be able to. This content will be up on the site as soon as its ready. Relax a bit, and have fun in the meantime. Smile
Posted:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:52 am
quote : #24
Type: NTSC-U
A planet ring guide first would be pretty sweet. Have you considered using openspy for ps2/other gamespy games?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:16 pm
quote : #25
PSO is of higher priority given the number of people that have it. Also, the setup requirements are similar as both have similar environment requirements. So PSO is being worked on first. A guide for PlanetRing server setup will eventually be published.

As far as OpenSpy, I am unwilling to support network technology where the executable server binaries are not publically available. OC will only support network servers/services where the tech is placed in the hands of the users.
Posted:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:11 pm
quote : #26
Quote:
As far as OpenSpy, I am unwilling to support network technology where the executable server binaries are not publically available. OC will only support network servers/services where the tech is placed in the hands of the users.

https://github.com/Masaq-/Openspy-Core

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:00 pm
quote : #27
Ah cool I hadn't run across that yet. The main openspy site doesn't link to it.

Experimentation with openspy, as well as XBSLink would be on a list of things to do for the PS2 site. I am hoping to get some community involvement with that task. More testing would have to be done to see what works and what doesn't and then there is the everlooming issue of DNAS, which is a Sony managed authentication service that sits between the game and the server. If the DNAS authentication is unsuccessful, the game cannot proceed. Even if some games connect, the fact that they have to route through DNAS means they aren't games that the OC PS2 site would focus on.

If the tech is open and available, we will experiment with it and if everything works out, try to weave it into our server infrastructure. Though, if another community is running the technology as good as we would, then I might direct consoles to connect to those networks, and have a setup waiting as a backup.
Posted:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:03 pm
quote : #28
Well dnas is on disc copy protection so as long as people are using the legit disc it shouldnt cause too much issues if any at all with a server

Just an idea

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:12 pm
quote : #29
Except for the fact that DNAS authentication is a service, and once that middle layer is terminated, the games will not be able to go online. While the community has managed to be able to patch non-legit discs to connect to DNAS without error, nobody has properly emulated the services or figured out a reliable way to bypass.

Community support for online titles at the PS2 site relies on a variety of factors.

1.) public availability of software
2.) online forever status
3.) ease of connection and access

Reliance on DNAS breaks the 2nd bullet point above.
Posted:
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 pm
quote : #30
The guys for the fragment server on coldbird I think bypassed it. Or they may have just the image with the code patched in.

But it sounds like some stuff people should start wiresharking