rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:30 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I ran across this article in my recent travels in cyberspace:

http://www.gamesradar.com/16-dreamcast-imports-that-shouldve-come-overseas/

The first thing that stood out to me is how clueless some game journalists are when they make these nostalgia driven articles.

The article covers games that should have been released overseas. 3 games in the list are:

Border Down (2003)
Under Defeat (2006)
Trigger Heart (2007)

How could these have been released in US/PAL ?!? The hardware and overall market for these platforms was long gone in these territories. Maybe... just maybe you could release border down in PAL regions given the fact that the Dreamcast had a later start in PAL, but even still... it was released in Japan in September of 2003, which is approaching 2004. Sometimes it baffles me how people who get paid money to write about games make such glaring misteps when writing their articles (because when writing about games you have to bust your ass to get stuff printed, its a tough industry to be in).

So to make this topic more constructive...

What games released in Japan (while the Dreamcast was still on store shelves), do YOU wish made it to PAL or US?
Posted:
Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:08 pm
quote : #2
The two games I REALLY wanted to see make it to the US was Napple Tale: Arsia in Daydream (Platformer/Rpgish) and Nanatsu no Hikan: Senritsu no Bishou (survival horror game). I've always been a fan of survival horror and Napple Tale seems like it would be a fun title to play.

petterk
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:08 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Alien Front Online

Not to mention the crappy releases with got of Daytona and F355, Sega stripping the online multiplayer modes.
Posted:
Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:33 am
quote : #4
Frame Gride is a game I would have wanted to come to the west with english translations.
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:23 am
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
Frame Gride is a game I would have wanted to come to the west with english translations.

Thankfully the fan community has already released an English translated version to this game. Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:56 pm
quote : #6
Ah I will have to check that out. Wink I could have sworn I heard about that before, but I my mind is drawing a blank as to where. So maybe it is new news to me.
Posted:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 pm
quote : #7
Off the top of my head... El Dorado Gate, Black/Matrix AD, and Napple Tale: Arsia in Daydream.
Posted:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:43 pm
quote : #8
In which region? US or PAL?
Posted:
Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 am
quote : #9
US. I remember feeling particularly slighted by Capcom not localizing El Dorado at the time because:

A. That time was the height of JRPGs
    B. The Dreamcast already lacked Japanese roleplaying games in the West (though maybe Capcom assumed the audience wasn't there, and that's part of what dictated their decision to not localize it)
    C. Capcom had already supported the North American Dreamcast market with so many titles that not releasing EDG seemed like a head-scratching choice

Of course, now that I'm in the localization industry myself, I understand why the game never saw the light of day outside of Japan. The localization cost just would have been too astronomical for it to pay off in the end, especially because the series was spread out over several volumes, reaching dozens of thousands of lines of text. That bit in and of itself would've presented an issue, too--episodic games, such as El Dorado Gate, were not acceptable forms of distribution in the West at the time; so Capcom would have needed to wait until the entire series was completed to release it in one compilation package. And by that time (which I think was 2001--that's when the last EDG was released in Japan), the DC was already dead, or at least well on its way, here in the US.

So it certainly makes sense why Capcom never pulled the trigger on a localization. Of course, as an avid JRPG'er, it's always felt like a missed opportunity just the same.
Posted:
Mon May 25, 2015 5:31 am
quote : #10
a Capcom vs SNK 2 with English text would have been awesome to have sooner since the Arcades I went to didn't get the English version until it came out for the PS2. Right next to that, Mobile Suit Gundam : Federation vs Zeon DX
Posted:
Wed May 27, 2015 9:34 am
quote : #11
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon DX is a game that would have benifited greatly from a western release. Especally in PAL where the cases already had dual CD storage (hmm I should make another topic about this). Federation vs Zeon DX was released in the US on the PS2, but it would have been nice to see this game released in the west on the Dreamcast.
Posted:
Wed May 27, 2015 12:30 pm
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon DX is a game that would have benifited greatly from a western release. Especally in PAL where the cases already had dual CD storage (hmm I should make another topic about this). Federation vs Zeon DX was released in the US on the PS2, but it would have been nice to see this game released in the west on the Dreamcast.

Totally played the PS2 version. Probably not something I should be saying but the PS2 version was better since the option to pan around was added in but even knowing this I enjoyed the backup of the Dreamcast version since the menus and gundams were practically the same.