Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
1, 2  Next
Mir_wan
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:08 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Anyone have an tips to look for when im trying to figure out why i can't reach the servers? I have a new LinkSys router.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:30 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
If you can do internet connection sharing you can try routing the Dreamcast over a PC, and be able to introspect whats happening by logging network packets. Maybe the DNS will work in thet networking scenario which allows you to narrow down what the problem is.

Edit (Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 am):
Hey Mir_wan, don't let this hold you back too much. Resolving the master list via DNS is one thing, but accessing a server is as easy as punching in the server IP Address.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Posted:
Mon May 04, 2015 10:58 am
quote : #3
It wont. I will get it figured out. I just haven't had a lot of time this last week to take a look at it.

It appears i cant find the servers either by typing in the IP address either. I guess i have a bigger mess on my hands.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 am
quote : #4
Hmm no way. What individual server IP are you trying to query?
Posted:
Thu May 07, 2015 5:24 am
quote : #5
OC Server 1 - 69.94.120.8:27960
OC Server 2 - 69.94.120.8:27961

i tried both of these

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun May 10, 2015 10:33 pm
quote : #6
Ah those IP addresses are old. OC's Servers have moved around a bit over the years. I will PM you the IP:PORTS for OC's new servers. Then it should work like a charm Wink

I would post them here, but I am trying to figure out how to avoid OC's servers from getting listed on Gametracker. I have to block their tracker and also move the instances into a Linux VM and apply some prevention measures with IPTables and a Firewall to thwart getting absorbed into a Reflective DDOS again.
Posted:
Wed May 27, 2015 8:25 pm
quote : #7
Hi there. I'm a brand new user to online consoles and I am having the same issue too. I have Quake III Arena and the bba but the server DNS isn't working for me. Could you please point me in the right direction? I'd love to play some Quake online again! Very Happy
Posted:
Thu May 28, 2015 2:40 pm
quote : #8
Ok this is puzzeling. Mir_wan and DJDustbunny, can you use http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to determine your current WAN IP Address? List your IP here. Then try to connect online with quake 3 to the master list, and tell me what time you tried to connect. I can look up the logs to see if you are even reaching the master list or not.

Also how are you configuring your DNS on the Dreamcast?
Posted:
Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:37 am
quote : #9
Hi there. I just tried to connect a few minutes ago. Maybe the way I'm configuring it is the problem. I was configuring through Quake III's LAN options and using 142.4.223.231 as the DNS address, but I didn't enter anything in the IP Address field. Is that the best way to do it?
Posted:
Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:55 pm
quote : #10
You still have to properly configure Quake 3, in addition to setting the IP Address.

If the IP Address is set to blank, it will pull from the DHCP server running on the network. DHCP servers allocate available IP Addresses from a pre-set range to devices connecting to the network. If no DHCP server is running (via your Router, etc), then this functionality will not work.

To set a static IP on the LAN you have to select the IP based on the range that is available, usually something like 192.168.x.x - 192.168.x.255
Posted:
Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:37 pm
quote : #11
In the IP address field, I set the IP address of my router, and still I didn't get anything. I got the error message "No Response from Master Server" I tried at about 4:30 EST. There must be something I'm doing wrong Sad
Posted:
Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:26 pm
quote : #12
You don't set the IP address of your router in the IP Address field. That goes in the "gateway" field.
Posted:
Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 pm
quote : #13
OK - here are the exact settings I'm using for every field on Quake III. Let me know if this sounds right.

User name: blank (not required for my broadband)
password: blank (not required for my broadband)
IP Address: blank
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: My router IP address.
Primary DNS: 142.4.223.231
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Posted:
Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:42 pm
quote : #14
That seems accurate to me. That configuration is designed to automatically grab an IP Address for the Dreamcast via the router's DHCP server, and allocated IP Address pool for DHCP. Do you know if your router is assigning addresses via DHCP? Does your primary PC use a blank IP/auto config? or is it statically configured?
Posted:
Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:22 pm
quote : #15
It seems to autoconfigure, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what's wrong. I might just need a new router. The one I have is provided by my cable company and I suspect it's doing something nefarious.