Previous  1, 2
bomb78
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:19 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Will some guys join the game to play here ? Smile
I'm having issues on my side, it worked once then stuck in connecting to the server on all servers ip i attempted although they are showing 100%

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:39 am
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
DreamcastTM and I played some ToyRacer last night with mixed results. A lot of technical information came out of this.

For starters, using the BBA with ToyRacer, it only wants to retrieve an IP address from a DHCP server. We were unable to find a way for the game to have a specific IP address assigned. This is a problem for playing online, as you need ports forwarded or the IP set as DMZ.

If your router supports it, you can force a detection of the Dreamcast's MAC address and assign an IP to the MAC address at the router level.

A work around is to simply detect what the Dreamcast's local IP is, and set it as DMZ in the router or forward the ports, hoping it doesn't change.

Another problem is that ToyRacer will steal the IP of a local PC in the DHCP range, which can cause IP conflicts and gives the false indication that the game does not work.

ToyRacer does not seem to like wireless network bridges. Instant dropouts occurred all evening when attempting to start an actual race. Connection timeouts occurred when gameplay was initiated on all environments tested.

---

Here are the results of the various environments we tested:

ToyRacer v0.9 Linux (Remote Server, Dedicated, VM, VirtualBox)
ToyRacer v0.9 Windows (Remote Server, Dedicated, VM, VirtualBox)

Access, Gmae Creation, and Chat all worked. A race would start, but one or both users would freeze or drop from the match as a "Connection Timeout". Sometimes we would see a brief few seconds of gameplay before this occurred.

ToyRacer v0.9 Windows (Real OS, Hosted on user PC with Player 2 connecting in)

Everything worked when we ran a server locally. Races were played and finished to completion. No dropouts.

It is unclear at this time what is causing the dropouts in the VM environments. It could be a latency issue, or the packet shaping of the Virtualbox environment. It should be noted that the very same experience we ran into with the connection dropouts on the dedicated VM's, we also ran into when playing on a locally hosted server with one user attempting to use a wireless ethernet bridge.

---

Some extra information:

ToyRacer's Linux server requires a 32bit/i386 OS install. It is not 64bit compatible. Also, it uses 100% CPU usage for a single core on the OS when its running. The CPU issue is being addressed currently by the developer.

---

If anyone else is willing to participate in some testing with us, it would really help. We need a 3rd user to eliminate any issues on either of the other 2 users setups. So if you have a BBA and have some time to run through some tests for ToyRacer it would really help.

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Posted:
Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:55 am
quote : #18
Type: PAL
Nice job!

One option if your router supports it, is to set a static DHCP route for the Dreamcast. That way, it will always be assigned the same IP even though it requests DHCP.
Posted:
Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:48 pm
quote : #19
Did you try running the servers on VMware nikon?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:07 pm
quote : #20
I have not tried VMWare yet. I won't be able to test out VMWare on the dedicated server until I have learned more about VMWare's headless/cmd-line only options. It took me a long time to figure all of that out with Virtualbox. This is worth looking into longterm.

I can try running the Linux build in an Amazon EC2 instance, and possibly in a VM running on XEN Hypervisor (I have a friend who runs this on his server, and he might be able to spinup a VM for me.

Local Tests running VMWare or Virtualbox are possible for current testing, to see if the networking of the VM's is somehow interfering.

At the moment though, it seems unlikely that OC will be able to run a dedicated ToyRacer server unless we can figure out why the dropouts are happening. This isn't really the end of the world, as running the ToyRacer server locally is incredibly simple. You just run it and open 2 ports on your router. No different than any other PC game. So I don't think any of this impede's our ability to play ToyRacer online. It would just be cool to have ToyRacer on our roster of provided game services Smile
Posted:
Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:51 pm
quote : #21
Type: PAL
Quote:
ToyRacer's Linux server requires a 32bit/i386 OS install. It is not 64bit compatible. Also, it uses 100% CPU usage for a single core on the OS when its running. The CPU issue is being addressed currently by the developer.

Runs fine on both of my multilib installs. For whatever distro you chose, there should be easy to just install the 32bit libraries required.

Since we have both linux and windows versions of the servers, I dont see why we would need to run it through a VM, once the cpu bugs in the linux version gets resolved in the next version Smile
Posted:
Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:56 pm
quote : #22
OC's entire server architecture is built on Virtual Machines, so if I am to run ToyRacer dedicated, that is where it would run.
Posted:
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:56 am
quote : #23
I just ordered a copy of this today, looking forward to trying it out online Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm
quote : #24
Cool! Let me know when you get it and lets try to organize a match to take it for a spin. It is pretty fun hehe.
Posted:
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:28 pm
quote : #25
Never played this game before. It only came out as PAL? Definitely curious about trying it online though.