kazade
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:06 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hi there!

I've been trying to connect my Dreamcast to the Internet via Raspberry Pi and a USB modem. I'm hoping that I can write some custom software for the Pi that will listen for the incoming connection and automatically negotiate answering and handing over to pppd, with a longer term goal of factoring out the USB modem entirely and simulating the modem in software. Anyway...

I have the following set up:

- PAL Dreamcast with a modem serial of 670-14116A, using Dreamkey 3.0
- A phone cable with a home brew line voltage inducer (as described here: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php#10)
- A Conexant USB modem
- A Raspberry Pi with Raspbian

I have Dreamkey configured with the settings recommended in the above article, except the AT command is set to "ATX" so that it blind dials. On the Pi I've been running mgetty, minicom and my own custom Python script to test listening for an incoming call to the USB modem, but no matter what I try, I never receive the call.

Am I missing something? With ATX Dreamkey tries to dial for a minute or so, but nothing ever happens on the modem. I can confirm the modem works by sending AT commands to it through minicom and it responds OK and the lights light up.

If there is a problem with the line voltage inducer, would this have the same behaviour as there being no inducer at all? minicom should detect a RING from the modem if everything is working correctly, right?

If anyone can spot any obvious error on my part let me know! Thanks!

kazade
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:21 am
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: PAL
One other thing... I found this article (http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html) which describes the line voltage inducer and connecting two PCs together with their dial up modems. I notice that in this version the RED and GREEN cables in the phone line are crossed over..

Should they be crossed over?