Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
DeweyTheCowboy
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:58 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
i was wondering if anyone has ever added a second stick which exactly mirrors the other one, so as to make q3a much easier to play, heres a quick photoshop i made to show what i mean

http://postimg.org/image/d64xq7meb/315c6357
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:00 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
nope,

BUT

I often think a Dreamcast controller with the Dpad on the right side would be quite handy for some games who use both the analogue stick and the Dpad, like Starlancer or The Nomad Soul for instance ... It's completely doable since its just changing the position of the existing stuff ...

Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:23 pm
quote : #3
Don't quote me on the specifics, but I believe someone put a screw with a saucer over the the main buttons to work as a crude dual analog setup.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:33 pm
quote : #4
Wargo you are correct. I.... unfortunatly.... accidently (honest, an accident) deleted that entire thread a while back. It was late and I was sleepy and I just somehow accidently clicked the delete button, and then I said to my self "Wait, thats not what I wanted to do". Then instead of exiting out I hit "ok" which actually then deleted the thread. I was non-too happy with myself. It is the only time that has ever happened.

A user here modded a DC controller by putting a round nub over the 4 face buttons, and put a screw down the middle of it to secure it in place. I can't say how well it played.

I tried many times to solve this problem using PS2 controllers that would let you customize the entire controller layout. Either by swapping analog sticks, remapping the controls, or even a controller that had swappable pods for each controller element. In the end, one did work... and I got dual analog gameplay on the Dreamcast. The problem is that it just wasn't precise enough. It did not have the exacting precision that the Dreamcast's analog stick has.

There are 2 things you have to come to grips with when it comes to the DC's controller layout. The fact that the analog stick is on the left side, and the face buttons being so far spaced out that its hard for it to double as a directional pad for movement. Getting used to aiming with your left hand is definatly possible, and prefered over using any of the PS2 controllers I tried in the past. Though getting used to using those face buttons for movement is hard. You have to train yourself to press 2 buttons at the same time to diagonally move, as opposed to rolling your thumb from say the back button to back-left. You need to get good at pressing down 2 buttons at the same time, and leaping across the face buttons to press 2 others at the same time.

I wish more mods existed to mitigate this.

Pro Tip: Go explore the controller configs for Outtrigger, you will see some surprising configurations in there!
Posted:
Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:01 am
quote : #5
Here is a link to the only controller I know that was designed for FPS on the Dreamcast. However, the scheme is inverted, meaning it looks more comfortable to a left handed person that right.

http://segaretro.org/Panther_DC

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:50 am
quote : #6
There is a crippling problem with the panther controller which makes it unusable for all FPS's... the stick only moves up/down/left/right. You can't move diagonally. Sad
Posted:
Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:52 pm
quote : #7
Wheh and there were so many times I almost bought that controller just for use with fps'. But in the end all I did was place the analog triggers on the other side of the dreamcast controller and hold it upside down for quake III. All the buttons were programmed so it would work with the analog stick on the right side of the controller. Worked well enough.