Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:51 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
There's a Kickstarter campaign to bring an officially licensed Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs - The Video Game to SEGA Dreamcast, 3DS, SNES, and TG-16 !!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saberridergame/saber-rider-and-the-star-sheriffs-the-video-game  /
Posted:
Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:32 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Wooo very nice. These guys really have their stuff together.

200 grand is needed to port the game to the Dreamcast.
Posted:
Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:10 am
quote : #3
Yeah, that's quite a lot. Still, I'd rather not see this fail. I loved this show.
Posted:
Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:00 pm
quote : #4
Pretty neat. Download version for gdemu/bba users? :p
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:19 am
quote : #5
Kbuzz, that would require connecting a wire cable to your game console (in this case, the Dreamcast), and the video game itself traveling across long distances into your game system from a land far far away. A disc cannot fit inside a cable like that. Its physically impossible.

(joking obviously)

EDIT: The Kickstarter seems to be moving a bit slow. 75k seems feasible, 200k, unlikely.
Posted:
Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:40 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
The Kickstarter seems to be moving a bit slow. 75k seems feasible, 200k, unlikely.

They just released new pixel artwork, a new YT trailer showing a bit more (early alpha) gameplay footage aaaand announced that Dreamcast is now part of the initial 75k funding goal (instead of the previous 200k) Smile

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saberridergame/saber-rider-and-the-star-sheriffs-the-video-game  /posts/1345354
Posted:
Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:44 pm
quote : #7
The addition of the Dreamcast version to the 75k goal really boosted the funding. It was idling at around 14,xxx for a few days there not getting much traction at all. Now, with the DC version, its up over 21.5k as of this posting. Looks like we might see this game for Dreamcast afterall! Very Happy
Posted:
Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:17 am
quote : #8
There is also a tech demo to be downloaded for dreamcast but this is actually just a slideshow with music.. We can't see anything related to the gameplay..
I don't think this project will reach the target of 75000$, few days remaining..

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:03 am
quote : #9
The team working on Saber Rider seem to have all of the pieces in place to make and ship a game, except for 1 critical component: Game Design / Game Play

They can make trailers
They can make marketing materials
They can make sprites
They can create bonus items
They can show their concept art
They have a well loved license
They can do the music

...but its the gameplay that is sorely missing. Look at this early trailer showing some gameplay: https://youtu.be/6IFC_z8Qyeo?t=53

Ammo spamming, waiting for enemies to keel over and die, and a lack of challenge. Also, notice horizontal shooting posture of the character when they shoot. Its as if a small child is hoisting a very heavy gun up in the air to fire at you with, requring the use of shoulders to keep the gun aimed. Its very imasculating.

Lets compare this to Rolling Thunder 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMpy0A5eZ2o

Tons of enemies, 1 shot kills, with more shots needed on harder enemies, special pickups, arms shops to get a sub-machine gun, lots and lots of platforming, high level of arcade challenge.

Notice how he shoots. Every posture is mimicking James Bond.
Posted:
Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:52 am
quote : #10
This game has been funded, and currently at over 81k. I don't think it would have met its goal had the developers not made the strategic adjustment to include the Dreamcast in the 75k funding goal.
Posted:
Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 am
quote : #11
i'm surprised they managed to do it !
I'm even more surprised that i finally also contributed Laughing