Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:43 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
Hey guys,

I've been researching the possibility of half life dc online on and off for a few months. Thread is here : http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/half-life-has-some-functional-multiplayer-components.57318/
It's long, it's all of my findings in the few months i was looking into it

But long story short, everything in the engine for multiplay seems to be on disc and usable. The only thing that it lacks is being able to connect to the net in-game and using the 'connect' console command like the pc version. If those two things were enabled i'm fairly certain a multiplayer goldsrc engine is possible

The point for this thread is though, i need someone to try running 'slist' and 'list' with two dreamcasts running half-life using a link cable. For science, to see what happens. If someone does, try before and after running 'exec server.cfg'. You may be able to see the other game by playing with both engines in console, since the way goldsrc is programmed a single player game is actually a localserver that the client connects to

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:25 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just tried with a coder's cable and nothing appears to be sent using "slist" or "exec server.cfg" when viewed through a terminal. I tried 9600, 57600, and 115200 baud rates.

Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:50 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
slist searches for severs and list displays the results; Did you try list after? You can also change the ip of the server from localhost to anything using 'ip <ip>'

Something i would try is for example changing dc #1 ip to 192.168.1.5 and dc #2 to 192.168.1.6, then on dc #1 using 'setmaster' to 192.168.1.6 or 192.168.1.6:27015. There's a lot of stuff to fiddle with

I don't think its going to work but it might