Page 1 of 1
Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
Does anybody know of a browser compatible mail provider? I tried many but all cannot send mail. I guess because it uses SSL? Could a mail server be setup that can send from planetweb, etc?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:18 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Do you mean over POP3? or via email in a web browser?

The Dreamcast will send email over POP3 if you know the SMTP server for the ISP you connect to. Most ISP's force you to use their outgoing SMTP mail server address to send email.

Sending email through the browser is very tricky. The Dreamcast does not support modern websites. Specifically the modern Javascript frameworks that are so heavily used in modern sites, especially anything that qualifies as a "web application", which most web email clients are built as.
Posted:
Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:03 pm
quote : #3
I mean being able to send and receive email via planetweb etc

How feasible is it to setup a mail server that can? Isn't that moderately easy to do in linux if you know what you're doing? Its not an overly important function but i guess it is a to-do to get email to work again in terms of feature restoring

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:49 pm
quote : #4
POP3 email should work just by owning your own domain, and having a cheap shared hosting account.

As long as you use your ISP's smtp server for outgoing mail (if it is required), then POP3 email should work just fine.

Setting up your own entire email server in linux is certainly possible, but not necessary unless you want to manage your own dedicated server at a data center, or in the cloud.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:01 pm
quote : #5
Quote:
POP3 email should work just by owning your own domain, and having a cheap shared hosting account.

I'll pm you about setting up a hostgator e-mail properly

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:43 pm
quote : #6
You should be able to set this up on your PC with a POP3 based email client first to verify that its working. I recommend Sylpheed Smile

Typically it is just a matter of:

1. buying a domain name
2. renting some cheap shared hosting space ($5/mo or so)
3. entering the DNS servers from the shared host into the domain registrar's admin panel
4. logging into the shared host's web control panel (most have cPanel), and creating an email account

Most shared hosts will have a known pop3 email address for recieving mail. However, most outgoing mail must be sent through your local ISP's smtp server. I would try using the shared hosts smtp server first. If that does not work, then try your ISP's.

At the bare minimum, even before getting the smtp server working, you should be able to recieve email on your Dreamcast using pop3.

One thing you should check first is whats the max chars accepted in the pop3 email configuration on PlanetWeb browser. I could have sworn I ran into a character limit restriction, which forced me to use a very small domain name. I guess they assumed everyone at the time would have aol/yahoo/hotmail addresses. For instance if you register dreamcastrocks247365.com, you might not be able to use name@dreamcastrocks247365.com in Planetweb's email client.
Posted:
Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:10 pm
quote : #7
I have dreampipe.net actually, its pretty great i don't know why i haven't posted of it here yet. The basic e-mail providers are easier to config than hostgators. I tested many providers and all of them for the most part work with POP3, but none for SMTP for sending mail. I guess they use a newer kind of SSL that none of the browsers support

I looked into setting up an SMTP only server and you can do it on a linux dedicated server. That kind of thing doesn't seem like a good idea to host on a home PC. So i was thinking if you could put it on the list of things to do to make an SMTP server compatible with the browsers. smtp.onlineconsoles.com would be neat. You could probably look into older e-mail clients to find the default ports/ssl protocols to minimize testing, which i can do

The point of that site is to make it so when you connect on planetweb or whatever, you're connected to the dc online community. I thought just a general e-mail discussion would be a great idea. Making the e-mail client a messenger among the community. I'll probably make a post about it here soon