Previous  1, 2
iluk
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:58 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-J
I tried with my two different coder's cables, your null modem wiring, and it works !
Tested with success on F355, VOOT and Sega Tetris Smile
More experiments to come.

Also, the selectable option in F355 menu depends on the region of the game/console.
With RDC backup (NTSC-U) it's always there (on my PAL or JAP dreamcast).

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:43 pm
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
To build the VS cable, I plan on soldering the MAX3232 modules directly to the boards to avoid having to use SEGA's connector.

That's great news to hear you were able to get your games working using the null-modem adapter.

iluk
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:11 am
quote : #18
Oh yes I see, a DB9 directly on the dreamcast would be nice !
I may try this, will you use a small PCB ? I guess you can move it where you want with the wires.

By the way, I wonder if using a cable directly from one dreamcast to another would work.
The RS232 conversion is needed for buffering or maybe to protect from voltages levels ?

iluk
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:39 pm
quote : #19
iluk wrote:
Ok thanks ! Should I check the voltages of each cable before ? I will try but not sure there is continuous voltage on the pins. Do you think building the null modem only requires 3 pins as shown on the website, say Rx to Tx, Tx to Rx, and ground ?

Now I can answer this question : it requires 5 pins : Ground, RX-TX (crossed), RTS-CTS (crossed). Say pins 5, 2-3, 7-8.
The CD+DSR-DTR are not needed for VS Link.
Tested with F355, VOOT, Sega Tetris and Aero Dancing i.

I had a little lag on Sega Tetris running with 4 players, don't know if it could happen in any configuration.
At the moment I'm alone for testing so not easy to play heavily !

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:57 pm
quote : #20
You were able to connect two Dreamcasts together just by crossing cables with no additional hardware in the middle? If so, that's awesome!

The adapter I'm using looks like the one pictured below and uses the MAX3232 converter. It already has a header for connecting the pins, so it will make installation very easy.

iluk
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:44 am
quote : #21
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
You were able to connect two Dreamcasts together just by crossing cables with no additional hardware in the middle? If so, that's awesome!

No, I didn't try that yet, but I think it could work more or less.
What I did above is checking the usefull wires on the null modem.

Your adapter is really nice, but on most similar models I see only 4 pins, it's not enough ?
EDIT : I found some models with more output signals: VDD, TXD, RXD, CTS, RTS, GND

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 pm
quote : #22
Yes, that's correct. The one I purchased has an eight-pin header on the board, so while the included cable is only enough for four, the option still exists on the board Smile.

iluk
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:30 am
quote : #23
Yes, and I guess you would only need 5 pins finally.
About linking 2 Dreamcasts without any hardware, we need to look at the official link cable to figure out what is needed :
http://topdream.imaginux.com/topliste.php?fiche=3

But using coder's cables is safe anyway.
Also, I realize that you are the moband author now Smile Is there a prefered place to know more about it ?
I had some tries building a voltage line simulator (I guess it will work soon), and I placed an order on a revA modem.
By the way I will open a new post to discuss about that.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm
quote : #24
There are more images available here. I can't find any information about the four unlabeled ICs. I'd imagine they possibly add some sort of protection on the lines or are for filtering since it's CMOS levels.

I will send a PM regarding information about the adapter to keep this thread on topic Smile.

iluk
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:51 am
quote : #25
Thanks for the PM.
Yes, I guess the official link cable is a straight link with some protections. Maybe Sega could give the info !

Do you have any luck with the small PCB for integrated DB9 ?

iluk
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:43 am
quote : #26
I did a try with a MAX3232 DB9 board, and after some tries it works ! It's also possible to use this board with the sd addon from Helder (assemblergames forum) :
http://topdream.imaginux.com/topliste.php?fiche=45

Now we are looking to design a replacement PCB for defective Dragoncast cable, as we only need two max3232 and a few caps to do it !