Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:34 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Connecting to OC's DNS server is a rather straight forward process. Quake 3 Arena should work for every user, however some people report that they cannot connect. The same goes for Starlancer as well.

I understand a few users are having problems. I created this thread to help get to the bottom of this issue.

A variety of things could be occurring:

• The ISP is forcing you to use it's own DNS (Dialup or Broadband)
  • Your router is not allowing you to query port 53 to access an alternative DNS server when using a BBA

To learn more about what is going on you need to route your Dreamcast through a device that allows you to run diagnostic tools inbetween the Dreamcast and the network resource.

• For dialup, you need to run a PCDC server.
  • For broadband you need to use a form of Internet Connection sharing.

Currently the script used for the DNS server does not log your IP Address, however it does show when someone tries to make a DNS request and to which domain. If you let me know the exact time, timezone, and which game services you were trying to access, I can verify if a DNS request was made. This will help diagnose if you are even reaching the DNS server at all.

It is wise to troubleshoot Quake 3 first, and then Starlancer second.
Posted:
Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:02 pm
quote : #2
oh well i dont have win98 to set up the pcdc server. it may be the fact that i have a free dial up isp although i can still get connected on quake 3. but i cant seem to connect with the OC address. thank you anyway.

Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:18 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
Quote:
For broadband you need to use a form of Internet Connection sharing.

Is it possible to bridge the netopia to a second Ethernet card?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:29 am
quote : #4
I was recently helping another user troubleshooting DNS problems, specifrically with regards to Quake 3 Arena. Their router was intercepting and overriding the DNS traffic on port 53. This is a common problem it seems. If anyone has any insight on how to address this on various routers, feel free to reply to this thread with more info.

To determine if your router is intercepting the traffice, you can input OC's DNS IP into the router itself as a primary DNS server temporarily for testing to see if your Dreamcast can resolve to OC's master list. Do not keep this perminant though, as OC uses a very narrow whitelist, and it null routes all other domain requests.

One solution to get around the interception problem, is to run a DNS server on Windows and connect your Dreamcast into that PC via ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), and use the PC's ICS gateway IP Address (typically 192.168.0.1) as the DNS in Quake 3 Arena.
Posted:
Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:11 pm
quote : #5
Well, i've had problems connecting with Quake 3 and Starlancer since I got dial up working again.
but yesterday after randomly trying to see if it works, on Q3 I figured why not try dial option 2 sure whatever its blank I should be getting no user name error message, and it connected AND I saw the servers online Exclamation

thinking ok the pso pal dreamkey info was connecting, but the weird thing is, its the same info in the 1st dial option so with no reason as to why 1 worked over the other let me put my dreamkey in and see what's different after getting to the setup options I inadvertedly deleted the info by clicking on the wrong thing.

so I re-enter the dial up info and boot up Q3 again and it connects again.

I was hoping to see what was different, so that I might change the dial up info for the 1st dial up info that I might have better luck with Starlancer.

its not like missing info in the option 1 I have the OC DNS in both and both connect to the browser and I read email.

sharing but cluesless as to why 2 works and the 1 does not.