Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:26 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have Virtua Racing for the Genesis and 32X. Both are great games. It still amazes me playing the Genesis version on 16 bit hardware. I was an early adopter of both of these games back in the day. Did anyone else here get this game for $90+ back then?

note: I always thought there was something up with my Genesis Virtua Racing cart when it wouldn't work while connected to a 32X cart slot. It turns out this is a known compatibility problem. It is a pain to have to disconnect the 32X to checkout the Genesis version.
Posted:
Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:39 pm
quote : #2
lordnikon wrote:
I have Virtua Racing for the Genesis and 32X. Both are great games. It still amazes me playing the Genesis version on 16 bit hardware. I was an early adopter of both of these games back in the day. Did anyone else here get this game for $90+ back then?

I personally did not own Virtua Racing back then, but one of my friends in the neighborhood received a copy of the Genesis version for his birthday. I didn't show up in time for the actual party, but I watched him play several races when I visited a few days later. I couldn't believe the Genesis could pull VR off, even though I owned a SNES and Star Fox.

Even to this day, I still maintain that VR on the Genesis plays extremely well. The far overhead view is my preferred camera angle, even if the pop-up looks very noticeable at that distance.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:39 pm
quote : #3
I have a Genesis copy of Virtua Racing, but I didn't get it back in the day. I saw it at a yard sale or a secondhand shop I think a few years ago for a few bucks and grabbed it.

I was surprised how well the game played compared to the Saturn copy I had. That little SVP chip was a powerhouse. These days if I want to play Virtua Racing I fire up the Sega Ages PS2 version, but it's still nice to be able to throw the giant cartridge in to play a fully polygonal racing game with a decent framerate on a 16 bit system, especially when you consider the alternatives like Hard Drivin'.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:36 pm
quote : #4
I wish the PS2 version had been a little more faithful to the arcade original. The sky is not very blue and the colors are muted overall. I have also noticed on the PS2 version that the car twists at its mid-point more, with less drag. On the other versions you go into a turn far sooner if you turn your car.

A great way to see this in action is to watch a comparison between the Model 1 arcade port in MAME, and the PS2 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TybO0PKZbgo

Notice the PS2 version sort of just glides along, with minimal difficulty in turning the car, where as the arcade version requires constant nudging when turning.

I feel the Sega 32X version of Virtua Racing is the most faithful home version available.

It would be fun to post our times in these games and make a little ranking out of it.
Posted:
Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:29 pm
quote : #5
That was such an amazing game. I never got to experience the Genesis version. However, I can attest the 32x version was the version I liked. I also had the Saturn version of this game, but I believed the 32x version ran faster. It's a shame that the games didn't get a chance to showcase on the 32x more. It's Sega's equivalent to the Virtual Boy.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:07 am
quote : #6
I think Virtua Racing did a great job of showcasing the 32X. It looks amazing and runs great. It has 3 modeled cars, which is 1 more than I would expect. Ever since the got the game I felt they went all out by having that 3rd car in addition to the indy/stock car. I felt like I owned a very complete and well polished game with Virtua Racing Deluxe.