Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:40 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
What's the best place to purchase the BBA adapter? I've been looking to purchase one so I can play some of the titles that are still online. What is one of the better VGA adapter to purchase? I would like to have it that my Dreamcast is next to my computer setup for ease of use.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:25 pm
quote : #2
Prices on BBA's have been very reasonable lately. I have seen them go for around $130, and have seen multople listings recently for that price. This is a great deal considering previously they were selling for $160-220.

As far as VGA adapters, I believe they are all pretty much equal. I don't know how well the box's compare to the cables, but for the most part, I have not heard people complain about the VGA adapter quality of one versus the other. I own two different models and they work the same.
Posted:
Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:32 am
quote : #3
A VGA adapter is strongly recommended. The increase in image quality over composite or even S-video is amazing.

Different VGA adapters might have different levels of build quality, but they're all the exact same in terms of features (the only exception to this are higher end handbuilt VGA adapters like the Hanzo that add features like scanline generation, but outside of specific use cases you're better off grabbing something cheaper). The only real thing to keep in mind with VGA adapters is their audio output - some output audio via regular minijack and some output RCA, so depending on what you're using for speakers you might have to pickup an adapter.

Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:04 am
quote : #4
How do you guys feel with a vga adapter vs an video up scaler? My biggest concern is dealing with input lag

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:52 pm
quote : #5
You'll want a VGA adapter either way.

An upscaler that does composite (480i) to HDMI (720p/1080p) is going to result in a blurry image, you'll have much better luck getting a VGA adapter and then going VGA (480p) to HDMI (720p/1080p). If you feed the upscaler a progressive image (like VGA) instead of an interlaced image (like composite or S-Video) the end result will look much better.

I ordered a $30 VGA to HDMI upscaler made by Etekcity from Amazon a couple days ago based on some positive reviews and a video I watched, it should be arriving sometime during the week. I've read that the input latency on that model is not discernable but I have a VGA splitter so once it arrives I'll run VGA out from the Dreamcast, then to the splitter, then one end directly into a monitor and the other end into the scaler, then the scaler to another monitor. Then I'll run a game with an timing clock like Crazy Taxi or Virtual On, set the monitors next to each other, and take pictures to see the difference in each screen's in-game timer. If there is any significant latency it'll show a difference in times.

Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:50 pm
quote : #6
Once you find out, please let me know. There's two games of importance with input lag. I love Fire Pro Wrestling for the Dreamcast along with the sports titles. Input lag would completely destroy the core gameplay that I wouldn't be able to enjoy either.