Page Location: Home > Doom > Topic
Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:50 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
I've tried to connect to this via bba a few months ago. But I could not figure out the proper configuration. Would it be a hassle to update the guide for connecting?

There were settings of assigning a name for your external IP or something like that

It would be great to actually play this online. I think the somewhat vague configuration is what keeps people from doing so

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:17 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I would be happy to improve the current guide. In order to do that I need more detailed feedback.

What is working for you?
What is not working for you?
What parts do you feel need clarrification?
Posted:
Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:29 am
quote : #3
I'm on phone so I cannot quote properly, maybe you can edit this reply

"- Network addresses may be either names or IP addresses"

Pretty much finding the proper IP of the Dreamcast or clarifying how to assign a name to your Dreamcast that can be accessed from the outside network. When I googled "what's my IP" on PlanetWeb it gave me the same address as PC. And using that did not work. Someone else and myself tried messing with configs for maybe more than an hour before we gave up

I made a disc image using the "sh*tload of wads" ISO on theisozone but I do not want to get involved in distributing piracy. So I'd just directly link to whoever is playing

I understand the hassle of an "idiots guide" but having an exceptionally clear and consise step-by-step guide even for compiling one's own CDI would probably yield a real lot more of games played. The DreamPi is gaining popularity by people who did not want to shell out $130-$200 for a BBA or go through the trouble of making a PCDC (it does take a certain kind of person to do that). But prior it was more common for a DC online player to be using broadband than modem. It's just that OC is the only place on the internet with the guide and myself who is fairly adept with all of this stuff could not figure it out after an hour. If you look elsewhere on the net people say they do not even think it works because they've never seen anyone report that they've played a successful game

A play through of the campaign with 2-4 player co-op on the hardest difficulty, using the Dreamcast keyboard would be a treat

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:59 am
quote : #4
Remember, the DreamPi / PCDC methods won't work with Doom for DC, because Doom on Dreamcast is BBA only. No Modem support.

A name refers to a hostname on the network. This would be for LAN situations.

As far as the IP Address, this is the WAN IP of your network connection.

The reason why I said "So rather than an idiots guide, this will be for people who already know about routers and direct IP online gaming.", is because the chunk required for people who don't know about routers and direct IP online gaming would take up more than the Doom guide.

Topics such as WAN IP, LAN IP, DHCP Server IP Address Allocation, Static IP Configuration, DMZ settings, and Port Forwarding are topics that apply to many online games. Many users who have spent time on various game consoles are already accutely familiar with these topics as they are required reading to play most console games online.

Furthermore, everyone's network is completely different. Most people have a router, but some have routers behind routers, or are bridging their game systems over their laptop, etc.

I am not saying this information shouldn't be made available. It just wasn't something I wanted to stuff into the Doom guide. Wink

The most simple explanation I can give for a working Doom DC Online scenario would be: Players A and B both have their Dreamcasts configured with a static Local IP Address, assigning this Local IP to the DMZ setting in their own routers Players A and B then exchange IP Addresses, connect, and play.

Last edited by lordnikon on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:25 am
quote : #5
What I meant by mentioning the modem was prior to DreamPi it was more common to play with someone using BBA than modem at least in my experience

So you're saying if my WAN IP of router is 1.2.3.4, by putting my Dreamcast in a DMZ player B connection to 1.2.3.4 will automatically be directed to my console?

Rather than assuming everyone's network is complex, why not add Doom specific network configuration assuming the user has a general network setup. A PC connected to one router. If they do have multiple routers, bridges etc as mentioned, then yes they would probably already know. And while logging into routers, and their configuration menus are widely different, link to sites that have router specific help. I think portforwarding.com or something like that provides this but I'm not sure

Making knowledge a prerequisite rather than providing the information in detail is not too friendly to the user who is interested enough to be reading your guide in the first place

If you'd like to help me get connected, perhaps we can arrange a time, get setup and play a map or two of co-op. Then I would gladly make a more specific, idiot friendly guide with pictures either to add to the current guide you have now or replace it if you deem it to be better Cool

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:40 pm
quote : #6
Dan12343 wrote:
Making knowledge a prerequisite rather than providing the information in detail is not too friendly to the user who is interested enough to be reading your guide in the first place

Yea, wooo... I guess I better keep my day job.

*breakdances off stage, out exit door, into alley, down market square, past the chickens, [stops to pickup batteries for ghetto blaster], resumes breakdancing, onward... onward...* Surprised