Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
SegaFan93
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hello, I am new to the forums. I live in New York.

I stopped using dial-up back in 2008 and switched to DSL. Ever since I bought a used Dreamcast almost 2 years ago, I read about the online capabilities the console has. A shame that the console didn't last very long. It came it the built-in 56k modem. Initially, I was thinking about getting the broadband adapter. However, the prices for the adapter has skyrocketed in recent years. Then I found out that not all online-capable games support it. Also, I read that the quality is not as great as dial-up. I read on this site about ways you can get the Dreamcast online without buying the expensive broadband adapter or paying for a dial-up subscription such as MSN.

I tried the DC-PC Server method. I used my IBM Thinkpad A30 laptop running Windows 98 to try this method. However, once I got to the part where I had to install WinRoute Pro, I get a "Windows Protection Error" when I boot up, which can only be solved by uninstalling WinRoute (according to the Step-by-Step Configuration prompt, it looks like wrdrv.vxd appears to be the culprit).

As for free dial-up ISP's, the forums does have a list of free ISP's that work for the dreamcast. However, those threads are from years ago, and those services might not work. I did find MetConnect, which appears to be working to this day. I registered and tested the access numbers listed with my Windows 98 laptop. I keep getting 'All circuits are busy'.

Can anyone help me out here? What do you use to get the Dreamcast online?

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:45 pm
quote : #2
I have recently bit the bullet and purchased a BBA through ebay. I use that mostly for playing Quake 3 online. While I can't speak from experience, it appears that using a Raspberry Pi is quickly becoming the go-to method for using a modem to connect the Dreamcast online. With this relatively cheap piece of hardware, and a dedicated OS designed for connecting the Dreamcast to the internet via modem, it may be your best bet.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:19 am
quote : #3
SegaFan93 wrote:
Also, I read that the quality is not as great as dial-up.

That is not true. The Dreamcast broadband adapter's network performance is 10/100 Ethernet, and performs just as smooth as broadband on any other platform/PC.

SegaFan93 wrote:
I tried the DC-PC Server method. I used my IBM Thinkpad A30 laptop running Windows 98 to try this method. However, once I got to the part where I had to install WinRoute Pro, I get a "Windows Protection Error" when I boot up, which can only be solved by uninstalling WinRoute (according to the Step-by-Step Configuration prompt, it looks like wrdrv.vxd appears to be the culprit).

The Windows 98 Method while working is not as reliable as using linux. It is difficult to get up and running and can be prone to stability issues and random blue screens. Once you get it working, it works most of the time, but Linux methods are preferred now over the Win98 method.
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:17 pm
quote : #4
I decided to use VMWare. It turns out that the WinRoute issue was caused by a conflict with certain system files and utilities that were installed earlier. So, I used a different VMWare WIndows 98 image, installed WinRoute, and it works! I recently got the Zoomtel 3095 USB Modem. After going through the steps to configure WinRoute, I attempted to connect the Dreamcast with the USB Modem, but on the Dreamcast, it gives me "There is no answer", and on the Windows 98 side, it gives me "the modem is not responding properly" message. The Dreamcast has the A model modem, and I tested the USB modem on an actual phone jack and it works great.

Update: After consideration, I've decided to ditch the dc pc server method and decided to consider DreamPi. Besides, Dreamcast Live sells pre-made line voltage inducers.

netrogames
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:13 pm
quote : #5
I currently have 1.5 Mb/s DSL (wish we could do better) , Vonage brand voip (I use it for phone calls), and 20 free dial up hours with the purchase of Earthlink email addresses (acutally I save a dollar for my email addresses that I have to buy anyeay becasue we have only one free email account with the DSL, and add 20 hrs dialup, 4 extra email accounts, and increase in each account from 100 Mb to 500Mb, ao this is all stuff we use anyway) Can I get online with that, or must I buy a DreamPi? I understand I'll get no incoming calls while I play, and can't make any outgoing ones becuase I'm eating my vonage line as a dial iup line. I may have to set my Voip settings to HQ 90 kb/s.

This would be convenient because of 3 reasons. 1) We use or broadband (such as it is) for our main internet feed and would ONLY use dialup for Dreamcast and other games that can't use a broadband modem. (Atari or commodore computers perhaps) 2) Long distance is no object so I can dial any server within the nation using an Earthlink dial in access point to anywhere in the US or Canada, and even direct dialing opponents and or dedicated servers that I can connect with anywhere in the nation. 3) Earthlink + Vonage would be the cheapest way (at least in my case) to get online and 4) Am I going to play 20 hours of dreamcast in a month? I'll probably not exceed that. The Dreamcast scene is a little more humble than Xbox Live, and in the Xbox games I want to play there, THAT scene is humble.

Some people say I need a computer to get it to work. I don't have a computer close and my computer is an iMac, I would prefer not to either buy or operate an alternate OS for my Mac. Would the Earthlink and Vonage solution work without a computer?