Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:38 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
More and more lately, I have been thinking about my DC collection. I love the physicality of the games, inserts, etc. The GD-ROM format is unique, so its hard for me to part with my physical games. However... if I had to lose them for whatever reason, I would want to have a digital backup of all the games I worked so hard to acquire.

A low powered laptop (maybe even ARM CPU) + emulator + my collection is far easier to stomach in the event of a Zombie Apocolypse (solar power might power the laptop enough for Power Stone!).

Pirated versions built to run on a burned CD are okay, but I think I am more interested in direct 1:1 full disk images, without audio recompression.

Has anyone else been thinking about this? With NAND Flash based GD replacement drives becoming more and more widespread, I think this topic is becoming more relevant than ever.
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:43 pm
quote : #2
bit late to this, but that's been my thinking for sometime. GDI rips are solid 1:1 backups of GDroms.

The GDrom replacement is great, but it's effectively modding the dreamcast to resemble its successor. I'm of course talking about a computer with local storage. The raspberry Pi has proven that an all in one retro device can function with minimal resources but isn't at the level needed to start packing up your consoles. Android devices have shows to be very powerful for dreamcast emulation. All in all, the interest in emulation has seen a big uptick and it's not far fetched to think that we'll soon be able to enjoy our entire library with all the automated luxury of modern technology.
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:53 am
quote : #3
Digitizing my physical game collection has been something I have been interested in for a while now. The effort still has to be exerted to actually rip all the Dreamcast games. I have a considerable library of "choice" games, the good stuff, so it would be nice to have it all rip'd and possible distribute it to others. Especially with used game prices being fricken crazy lately.

I don't think I am really interested in "replacing" my Dreamcast Hardware with an x86/ARM based PC. I guess I just like playing with the emulators and experimenting with the technology. I like to do both I guess, and having flawless GD-ROM rips vs CDR optimized pirated rips with compressed audio would be highly desired.