1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:31 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I did a pretty successful community play for Armada not too long ago. So I was thinking of doing a volume 2. For those interested, this is where we pick a game, and play it together over a period of time (offline of course), and then used the thread to share in a discussion along the way. Trading tips, talking about the gameplay, and our experiences.

I try to pick games that aren't to story driven where spoilers are involved. Armada doesn't really have spoilers. So titles that are more unlock/progression based.

A game I was considering for this is: Sega GT

Is anyone interrested in a Community Play Vol 2? If so, what game?

If your Dreamcast has been getting a little dusty lately, this might be a good opportunity to dust it off Wink

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Posted:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:40 pm
quote : #2
I'm down to play Sega GT later this month. I have yet to even place the disc in my Dreamcast after owning it for about a year and a half.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:04 pm
quote : #3
I am in the same boat, which is exactly why I wanted to use it for a Community Play. I think it could be fun to unlock some cars, see all the courses, and share progress as we go.
Posted:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:17 pm
quote : #4
I would like to take part. I have completed Sega GT years ago, but it would be fun to play through the game again.
Posted:
Fri May 05, 2017 9:04 am
quote : #5
Ok sweet it will be nice to have a veteran on board who is experienced with the game. Sega GT will be the game we play then!

I am not sure when we will start, maybe sometime in the next few weeks. I want to give more people time to see this thread. Smile

As a bit of a side note, one of the reasons why I like these Community Plays is that they rekindle something that you can't really experience unless you went back in time to a game's release. It sort of replicates what a GameFaqs board might be like in terms of immediate in depth discussion about a game that everyone is playing in that moment. A lot of interesting discussions happen because of this.
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2017 11:05 pm
quote : #6
Dropping a post in here to inform all interested parties that my DC gear is out of storage and ready for Sega GT gaming. Smile

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu May 25, 2017 9:36 pm
quote : #7
I ordered a real copy of the game. I sold my original gd years ago.
Posted:
Fri May 26, 2017 12:13 pm
quote : #8
Nice, how much did you get it for?
Posted:
Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 pm
quote : #9
Is anyone else interested in joining in one this Community Play for Sega GT?

I know gary_b and TheMytho are anxious to get started, as am I, but I want to leave the window open for anyone else that wants to join in. If your DC is a bit dusty, maybe this is a good time to dust it off Wink
Posted:
Tue May 30, 2017 6:00 am
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
Nice, how much did you get it for?
$4.99 plus $3 shipping for a complete copy. Not to bad for a complete copy of the game.
Posted:
Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 am
quote : #11
Man that is a killer price. Thats 2006 era prices, and honestly, how much used games should cost. I have never been a fan of games being more than 30 bucks. I think some games should be 50-75, but most should reside under original MSRP long after they have faded from the market. Glad to see you got a good deal on Sega GT.

I am pretty excited to start playing this game. I guess I have been looking up a lot of vids on various racing games lately, so settling in on Sega GT will be on topic for what I has peaked my interest recently.
Posted:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:39 pm
quote : #12
I did not participate in the last community play, how exactly does this work? Do we like set goals to for our group to meet per week?

Hey Ben, I could post this over at DC-talk to see if anyone there wants to join us. Many of the people there are either old members from here or currently members at both sites. If I do post over there, I do not wish to have discussion on both sites though. So they would need to gravitate here for this event. Anyway what do you think?
Posted:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:13 pm
quote : #13
You are more than welcome to post at another forum if you want to inform others of this event. I assume discussions would take place here in this thread for the Community Play. Seems to make the most sense, as its kind of an OC forum thing.

The process is pretty loose in terms of how this all unfolds. I tend to create a thread, idle a bit so people can notice it and join up Once a few people are on board I give a last call for participants and then once those who have signaled they want to play are ready, we proceed. Playing the game can take place over the timespan of 30-45 days or so depending on how long the game is. Last time, even with my busy schedule, I managed to level a character in Armada to the highest level.

Once we start, we basically set the goal of making sure we play each week and are active in the discussion. Sega GT should be a game you are actively playing when you have time. Then you come here to share your experiences with others. The community play is sort of trying to re-kindle the experience of what it would be like if Sega GT was just released and we all bought the game and were actively playing it. I doubt we would all be playing Sega GT right now or with the same level of attention to the experience, had this Community Play not been created.

A side goal for the Community Play is to add a level of online interaction that is "asynchroneous". Scheduling online matches in online capable games can sometimes be tricky with our busy schedules. So I thought of this as a way for us to still come together to experience a game, but on our own time schedules.
Posted:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm
quote : #14
I just want to give everyone a heads up we will be starting on this upcoming Friday 6/9. My DC is ready to go, with Sega GT and a fresh VMU save.

If you want to get in on this, reply before Friday Wink

So far its just myself, gary_b, and TheMytho.

Also, this isn't like an online game. You don't *have* to start playing Friday. You could start on Saturday, or even Sunday. Friday is basically the green light that we can start playing that day or onwards. We should be putting in some time every few days (min once a week) to keep up with participation. I have no idea how long Sega GT is. If you put in a 6 hour session one day, and a 6 hour session another, it could be over fast LOL. Obviously there is the challenge of improving one's own times, so I think the game should last for a good month+ easy.
Posted:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:44 pm
quote : #15
I'll join not sure where I left off playing the game at though, maybe i'll figure that out i'm pretty sure while I did quite a few things I believe I had whole lot more to get done.