profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Sweet Very Happy glad to have you on board DaMan
Posted:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:32 pm
quote : #17
Type: PAL
I can join in with this too! I've been playing a bit this week anyway - had the game for quite while but never got round to giving it a proper go!
Posted:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:54 pm
quote : #18
I started a new game in Sega GT this afternoon before going out to eat. Here are some initial thoughts:

• There is no autosave in this game. You need to make sure you save each and every time you quit.

• The only cars you'll be able to afford are all hunks of metal scrap. Even among the other scrapheaps, you'll be fighting just to get a 3rd place finish.

• Don't bother trying to qualify. The lap time to qualify is way too difficult to attain in a starter car.

Right now, my plan is to quickly upgrade my car, the Suzuki Cappuccino, in each category to at least the first level. I've already obtained the first stage of weight reduction and put a set of street tires on my car. The upgrades do make a drastic difference in your race performance. I went from 3rd-4th place on the first race to a solid 2nd after the tire upgrade. Seeing as how the first race takes place on an oval track with 2 laps, I can easily grind out the money by continuously playing the first race, quitting the series, then restarting.

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:58 pm
quote : #19
picking up whe.re I left off I tried to place better for the license tests mostly 3's and and few 2's.
looking at the upgrades and and know I did not mess with tuning options that you can play with such as balance for brakes and the stabilizer opened manual and not but "go to the website"
was messing with the races that I did not earn a wreath for a win.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:10 am
quote : #20
It has been a while since I booted up this game. I went to the memory card section and was surprised to see the minigame feature. I ride the train to work, so I think I am going to download the mini game and try it out on the go Very Happy

I bought a used Honda "Beat" to start out with. Before competing in the championship races, I have done a lot of license races. I guess I figured it might be a good way to get a feel for some different cars.

At first glance, there seems to be a LOT of meat to this game. Am I right in that assertion?

Thanks everyone for participating. This is fun Smile
Posted:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:29 pm
quote : #21
I have not started yet, but I have some time off next week and I should be able to have at it then.
Posted:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:32 pm
quote : #22
The initial handling on this game feels very loose - I tried the game with the Thrustmaster Ferrari wheel and had to "nudge" the steering wheel to control my car effectively. Reminds me of Vanishing point in a way.

I concentrated on the E licenses first of all and the Work Cups in order to gain some cash. Now have a modified Cappuccino (sounds like something you order at Starbucks Laughing )
Posted:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:20 am
quote : #23
I have been playing "Pocket GT" the downloadable mini-game that you can DL from Sega GT.

I was getting a few odd looks on the train, playing my VMU, which was fun... lol

It is amazing how fast the CR2032 batteries run out. I get a couple of hours of constant play sessions out of them before the message to replace the batteries comes up.

Pocket GT's races are pretty great. Similar in complexity to many full on Gameboy games. I was rather impressed. It is a vertical racer, where you can speed up, brake, hit check points, crash into obstacles, as well as grab health items and time bonus items.

The other aspects of Pocket GT include training mini games to raise your stats. You can exercise, study, perform jobs, etc. Most are button tap sequences that draw you into a stat crunching trap (that may never end).

Completing races and increasing your stats is actually quite hard. I have yet been unable to finish a race without being forced to retire, and in training mode I ended up dying (after going to the hospital 2 times for over extending myself).

Pocket GT really impressed me though, and I plan to continue playing it.
Posted:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 pm
quote : #24
I got all of my licenses and i have completed a few events. This is a lot harder than I remember.
Posted:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:24 pm
quote : #25
Played a bit yesterday, figure i'd start over with the bottom class without deleting my save using the E class and try to get to where I was used the stabilizer and it stiffened the Honda Turbo Z a little but had little patience to practice and just went with it I know if I put my mind to I can make a decent racer out of it, placed 5th after several event races some improvement where I did manage to move up but then fall back to 5th.

then I used the capaccino in the sponsor races and and simply won still not as good as used to be (not that I was all that great to begin with.)
rjay63
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:00 pm
quote : #26
After playing extensively over the past 2 weeks, the handling is still an issue. Yes, you can tune cars but you shouldn't have to do this just to make them driveable. I spent nearly two hours trying to make my Trueno control properly but to no avail. With the "Work Cars" races I have given up driving properly and am just charging through to win races, whacking walls on the way.

Hoping to concentrate on the "Carrozeria" mode shortly and built some crazy cars!
Posted:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:33 pm
quote : #27
Yesterday evening I managed to complete all the Works Cup races. Who on earth programmed the physics for that Renault Clio Works Car?! Shocked When you steer even slightly to the right, the whole car just spins 360 degrees. It's like a shopping trolley with wonky wheels! Only after some very lengthy trial and error in the tuning options did the car become somewhat manageable and even that involved "driving on eggshells".

Even though I eventually won the race, there was no sense of reward/achievement. Even the cars in Roadsters handled better than that!
Posted:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 pm
quote : #28
Yesterday I finally completed Championship mode including the WSK (World Speed King) Races. This is actually the first "Gran Turismo" style game I have ever "completed" despite playing racing games for many years! While Sega GT has a lot of depth (in particular the tuning options), the general handling of the cars is very twitchy and made for a poor racing experience. Despite this, there are some cars that handled well so I'll spent some time with them to end my Sega GT experience on a good note! I'll also get the rest of my Licence Replays on Youtube (E Class is already up).
Posted:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:33 pm
quote : #29
Way to go rjay63!
rjay63
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 pm
quote : #30
Thanks DaMan. Ended the game on a good note messing around with the Carrozzeria cars; replicas of Lamborghini Diablos, Ferraris & Porsches. Also the bizarre inclusion of a mini-truck if you buy all the other cars in the game (I got mine from a US save and then "traded" it between VMUs using the in-game option).

All my Sega GT License Replays and Carrozzeria car exhibition are on my Youtube channel below.