Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
How is your Dreamcast currently connected?
DC is packed away in a box
11%
11% [ 2 ]
DC is visible, but cables are not connected
0%
0% [ 0 ]
4K HDTV, any connection type
16%
16% [ 3 ]
720p/1080p HDTV, Composite/S-Video/Component
5%
5% [ 1 ]
720p/1080p HDTV, Scaler Device
0%
0% [ 0 ]
720p/1080p HDTV, DC VGA Box
16%
16% [ 3 ]
720p/1080p Monitor, Scaler Device
5%
5% [ 1 ]
720p/1080p Monitor, DC VGA Box
16%
16% [ 3 ]
CRT Monitor, DC VGA Box
5%
5% [ 1 ]
240p/480i SDTV, Composite/S-Video/EU-SCART/JP21-RGB
5%
5% [ 1 ]
CRT HDTV, Scaler Device
5%
5% [ 1 ]
CRT HDTV, Composite/S-Video/EU-SCART/JP21-RGB
5%
5% [ 1 ]
Dreamcast Emulator
5%
5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I am curious to see how everyone's consoles are connected at the moment to get an accurate reflection of where Dreamcast users are at with their systems. I posted this in General Online rather than the Lounge because I feel it relates hightly to how willing people are to play their DC online depending on their setup. If your console is not hooked up right now, please be honest and open about it. This post is designed to help shape future documentation on the site relating to rendering the Dreamcast on various displays.

I tried ordering from most to least latency, with having your DC packed away being "Maximum" Latency hehe.

Please login and contribute to this poll, or even spread the word for others to contribute to this poll.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 6 times in total
Posted:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:50 am
quote : #2
I'm not sure where to put mine. My Dreamcast is currently connected to a widescreen Sony CRT HDTV that's in my bedroom, so I can play games with widescreen modes, like Metropolis Street Racer, without any latency. My widescreen CRT can natively display in 480p, 480i, 720p and 1080i, but not 1080p. I'm using S-Video because the widescreen CRT doesn't have any VGA inputs. As such, I'm only getting 240p/480i, albeit without any latency. Should I select 240p/480i SDTV, Composite/S-Video/EU-SCART/JP21-RGB, should I select 720p/1080p HDTV, Composite/S-Video/Component, or should I select neither?

Also, we have a 480p/1080i 4:3 Proscan CRT HDTV/EDTV in our family room. In addition to three S-Video/Composite inputs and a Component input, it has two VGA inputs. However, it is technically an HDTV set, not a computer monitor. Granted, no Dreamcast is connected to it at the moment, but if I were to connect a Dreamcast to it, would I still select "CRT Monitor, DC VGA Box?"
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:31 am
quote : #3
I added a CRT HDTV option to the poll Smile
Posted:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:08 pm
quote : #4
Temporarily, I'm using a composite to USB capture device. The aspect is still 4:3 / 525 lines and picture in picture, so is it still technically a "scaler" device or should there be a new option for "capture" device?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm
quote : #5
Hmm something a bit wierd happened there with the poll, maybe because I had hit the hard limit of 12 poll options set on the board. I extended it to 25, but to correct the problem I had to delete then re-add the CRT HDTV options. MasquedWarrior, does the poll let you revote? or does it show you as having already voted?

I also added a Dreamcast Emulation option.

Dreamcast ™ wrote:
Temporarily, I'm using a composite to USB capture device. The aspect is still 4:3 / 525 lines and picture in picture, so is it still technically a "scaler" device or should there be a new option for "capture" device?

Playing primarily off of a capture device would be in the same realm as using a scaler/any other video processing device.

I would do "720p/1080p Monitor, Scaler Device" if you are playing through a capture card.
Posted:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 pm
quote : #6
Type: PAL
I'm using a VGA cable and a VGA to HDMI converter to connect to a 4k telly.

I haven't notice any latency, but I've had it connected up to various HD tellies for the past ten years... More than used to it by now - haha!
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:07 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Hmm something a bit wierd happened there with the poll, maybe because I had hit the hard limit of 12 poll options set on the board. I extended it to 25, but to correct the problem I had to delete then re-add the CRT HDTV options. MasquedWarrior, does the poll let you revote? or does it show you as having already voted?...
No, it's not letting me re-vote!
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 pm
quote : #8
HDTV 720/1080 composite yeah I know not the best setup but the picture is huge, compared to the 13' gxtv which is not as easily hooked up.
but the set was a gift and I have a audio video switch for most of my consoles 2 DC, and 1 ps2 which let me have do something crazy have
PSO ver 2 DC
PSO PAL ver 2 DC
PSO Episode I & II XB
PSU PS2

all on and flipping between all the games to see the difference on the same set, still not the best setup, but interesting to see the switch get a workout.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 am
quote : #9
DaMan, do you quad mag grow?

MasquedWarrior I will try and login with a spare dummy account I have and cast your vote in the appropriate slot. Sorry about the inconvenience, things got wierd when I was adding/removing entries at the poll option cap.
Posted:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 pm
quote : #10
MasquedWarrior, I have voted on your behalf, using a dummy account Wink
Posted:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 pm
quote : #11
get a toro vga/scart or akura hdmi box from https://www.beharbros.com/

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:05 am
quote : #12
Great to see the participation in the poll. For those who select the stored away/unplugged options, don't worry. I plan on re-running this poll on a periodic basis. So you will have an opportunity to revote in a new poll when your DC is connected. I am not sure on what would work best, 1/year, or 2/year? A re-polling every 4 months would seem a bit excessive.

Some interesting trends so far: Most are on HD displays/monitors, and a decent percentage are taking advantage of the Dreamcast's VGA capabilities.
Posted:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 pm
quote : #13
My setup isn't reflected in the poll. Right now, my Dreamcast is connected to an old LCD monitor from the early 2000's. The monitor is only capable of 1024 x 768, a sub HD resolution. I still have my CRT monitor, but a lack of available desk space means that it sits in a spare bedroom.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:57 pm
quote : #14
I moved about 6 months ago and I do not have my console hooked up atm. Kind of sucks because more games are coming back online. Shocked
Posted:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 pm
quote : #15
let's pull this up from the dead with me, a dead user. right now im playing with flycast on my linux machine. it has built-in modem or bba emulation and it really just works out of the box. havent tried getting into any online games yet.

for the poll, id love to answer both ways, with my actual dc is visible with no cables connected and also using an emulator lol
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.