Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:42 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

OMG i just spazed out, killed a bus full of nuns and raped a pig. ANOTHER new game is coming out for the sega dreamcast OH BABY YES!!!! Its a shooter!

A horizontal jet fighter game set against futuristic backdrops. Player can collect many different power ups to increase their chances of survive the throng of enemies.

Border Down is scheduled to be released on September 25th for the sega dreamcast in Japan! It has been in the arcades since the beginning of the year, and will be ported over to the dreamcast. New features include a remix mode and practice mode!

-LordNikon
Posted:
Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:29 am
quote : #2
I think Border Down may be my first DC import game. It just looks so intresting and fun, and hey, it's a new Dreamcast release. Very Happy

I've also been thinking about it buying it for awhile, and I'm stoked for the release.

-Mytho

Truewrestler
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:27 am
quote : #3
How does Border Down compare to Ikaruga? I've been thinking of getting Ikaruga on Gamecube when the prices come down.

Lunar Eclipse
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:08 pm
quote : #4
I might get it, but Ikaruga wasn't really my cup of tea. Ikaruga was good, don't get me wrong, but I am not amachine and my reflexes are not god-like. Maybe if this one is a little less challenging than Ikaruga, I'll look into it.
Posted:
Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:05 pm
quote : #5
shootemups are a genre that require skill, determination, and no fear of losing. The games are usually based entirely on scoring high points. They each involve a system, a system that must be broken down, using the tools and rules that the game gives you. Most shooters involve an onslaught of enemies and bullets that trying to plot it all on the screen with your mind could give you a brain hemorage(ie. giga wing). Personally shootemups are my favorite genre, i have been playing them since Silpheed on sega CD and Thunder Force 4 on genesis.

Truewrestler: FYI Ikaruga is one of the best shooters ever made, its system of black and white is what makes it so unique. Ikaruga on dreamcast won import game of the year....not import dreamcast game....THE import game of the year. There are black and white enemies, and your ship changes between black and white modes. If you shoot a ship of the opposite color as your ship while in battle you deal double damage, and you develop chains, which lead to higher scores. However this leads you vulnurable because if your white, then the black bullets can kills you. Same color bullets coming at you from an enemy can be absorbed. SO the game has a rather unique gameplay system. The gamecube version has a high score point system rewarding passwords in challenge mode, that you can then enter on the inernet to be ranked among other players.

So i guess as far as shooters go, your either a shootemup junky, or the genre just isn't for some people.
Posted:
Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:03 pm
quote : #6
yes Ikaruga takes lots of determination etc... i sat for a good month trying to get my score high enough for tha tonline ranking they were doing, and amazed at how good i got i was blown away that i was miles from where i would need to be for that ranking , goes to show you how good and insane some people are. Shocked

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:26 pm
quote : #7
Well i thought i would post the cover art for the game, here it is Smile

mighty nice :]
Posted:
Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:53 pm
quote : #8
Just so you all know Border Down isn't the only new Dreamcast game coming out there are lots more but that one is getting lot of focus to see a list of all the Dreamcast games coming out go to my website, here is a link to that page: www.geocities.com/joe_news_inc/Dreamcast_Magic_Newgameslist i hope that links work if not copy and paste the old fasion way

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:46 pm
quote : #9
Yea we know about those games gettinig released. However, all of those games are dating sims and or anime rpg games with a story book style gameplay. The games are all in japanese. And knowing and understanding the language is a critical part of the gameplay. Its virtually impossible to play the game without knowing japanese.

King of Fighters 2002, Feet of Fury, and Border Down are the only games to have been released this year that can be played by people of all cultural locations.

Many of the other releases on there are games that are simply being repressed, and hence are not 'new' games. Just represses. Such as KOF2000, power Ston2, etc etc.

Out of that list for Europe and North American gamers, Border Down is the only real new release. The rest of the games, yea we can look at weblistings, and see cover art or screenshots, but other than that its as if the games don't even exist. Unless you know some japanese the games are virtually unplayable.
Posted:
Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:19 am
quote : #10
very true... its too bad they arn't many titles other then Dating sims coming from Japan, Verity is always nice