Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
killer-elite
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
"Shuouma has worked his voodoo magic once again! Although this time he hasn't really brought a game back online, because technically it was never "offline" to begin with, but Sega Swirl is now playable online without having to resort to a lot of technical hackery. For those of you who are unaware, Sega Swirl is a puzzle game which was included in certain Dreamcast web browsers, demo discs, and in the Sega Smash Pack. The game had an online multiplayer mode but not in the traditional sense where you would have a game server. Sega Swirl actually used email to accomplish this. You would set up an email account using PlanetWeb or your regional equivalent web browser and would then be set to Swirl with other players around the world. Unfortunately due to many changes in email protocols over the years (more specifically the implementation of encryption into modern email services), the Dreamcast doesn't play nice with 99% of modern email providers such as Gmail. This is where Shu's magic comes in. Without getting all technical, he's created a magical piece of software that allows the DreamPi to act as an intermediary between the Dreamcast and Gmail, making them play nice together."

Pretty rad that they got this working threw Dreampi, Im kinda lost on the whole install process, Ima wait till someone posts a step by step video before actually attemping...

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post/Sega-Swirl-Is-Back-Online-Sort-of/

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Even before protocols became more secure, it was a challenge because ISP's would require you to through their SMTP server for outgoing messages.
Posted:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 pm
quote : #3
Just to clarify, this is not a "piece of software", I just made a bash script that installs
and configures mandatory open source software to have the dreampi act as a man
in the middle device.

Unsecure between the DC -> PI
Secure between the PI -> Internet

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:35 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
To add on to what dxtriad said, I just want to say: UNIX is awesome, and here a UNIX environment is what facilitates this functionality. In this case, bash scripting, GNU tools, and software available on Linux were used to create a bridge to make it easier to play Sega Swirl online.

For a great description of how Shouma's script works, see here:

https://youtu.be/tc4ROCJYbm0?t=874

Shell scripting is still just as relevant today as it was decades ago, and it is one of the most empowering and useful languages for day to day computing that you can learn. Everyone should learn to execute shell commands and try their hand at turning them into a script.

If you are on FreeBSD, Linux, or a Mac, these constructs are already present. Cygwin can be installed on Windows for a native unix environment. I use it regularly.