Page Location: Home > Doom > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:46 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have never played Doom online against another user on the Internet before (only against myself in a LAN). With my new testing setup in full swing, and the ability to setup multiple Dreamcast's, curiosity got the best of me, so 2 weeks ago I decided to test out Doom online.

NOTE: To clear up some confusion, OC's Doom Online Guide is simply a cleaner version of what is already provided in the readme files that are bundled with the DCDoom zip provided by ChillyWilly. I just re-wrote everything, put stuff in a grid, and added colors. Doom Online for the DC is a port of ADoom which traces back to ID Software's own Linux Doom source code, and works like the PC version, even down to the default port of 5029 (this is a PC DOOM standard). No special extra information is provided in the guide on this site. Its just easier to read.

Previously successful networking tests were based on following ChillyWilly's original bundled readme files, and only performed in a LAN environment. So I wanted to see if it was possible to play against another user online. All new attempts failed. I tried to play against two seperate users online 1vs1 Deathmatch, with the same results. The match would either stall at the terminal log on each system, or the client would leap to a pixelated/distorted view of a match. Menu's can be traversed if you hammer escape on the keyboard, but they sort of overlay on top of one another making it hard to change any settings. The game seemed "glitched".

It should be noted that User A attempted to play against users B and C seperatly, but users B and C did not attempt a connection together. So there could have been a problem on user A's end.

I did multiple successful LAN tests in 2012. So I figured I would replicate that again to rule out any anomolies.

I re-tested Doom in a LAN using:

Same discs I burned in 2012, md5 checksums on WAD's are identical
Same router
Same consoles
Same 2x BBA's

It is not working for me as of right now in a LAN environment. So I am chalking it up to an order of operations issue? or some sort date driven code errata (highly unlikely)?

I also tried 3 different routers to rule out any network issues, and used the same router that I tested this with in 2012.

Here are my configs:

HOST

Play Network Game: on
Player Number: 1
Deathmatch: on
Alt Deathmatch: off
Starting Skill Level: Hurt Me Plenty
Starting Map Level: 5
Timed Game: 0
A.V.G.: off
Copy Stats: off
Force Version: 110
Use PC Checksum: off
Network Type Settings
  Player #1     : 192.168.1.83
  Player #2     :
  Player #3     :
  Local Address : 192.168.1.81
Network Extra Tic: off
Network Tic Dup: 1

CLIENT

Play Network Game: on
Player Number: 2
Deathmatch: on
Alt Deathmatch: off
Starting Skill Level: Hurt Me Plenty
Starting Map Level: 5
Timed Game: 0
A.V.G.: off
Copy Stats: off
Force Version: 110
Use PC Checksum: off
Network Type Settings
  Player #1     : 192.168.1.81
  Player #2     :
  Player #3     :
  Local Address : 192.168.1.83
Network Extra Tic: off
Network Tic Dup: 1

I tried many startup operations, like starting the host, waiting until it says Checking Network Status, and then starting the game with the client. Also starting them at the same time, etc. None succeeded.

Hopefully this information helps someone else. I figured if its possible for me to have DCDoom working/not-working at different intervals that others are also running into challenges in the configuration process. Smile