Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:23 am
quote : #107
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hi,

I love the Dreamcast.

Also.

I am looking for Halflife and Propeler Arena, I thought maybe someone here would know what is the best place to get them ?

Sorry if it have already been asked, might have missed it !

I was also wondering if some of you have already played the Sakura Taisen and if they where actually playable without knowing japanese ?
Going for a trip in the holy land of Japan soon so thinking about upgrading my collection at the source in the same time Very Happy

Very nice forum it is good to see such a devotion for the best of all video game consoles Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:23 pm
quote : #108
Type: NTSC-U/C
I wish I had some links handy for Half-Life and Propeller Arena, but I don't at the moment. As for Sakura Taisen, a trip on over to Segagagadomain can help sometimes to see if a game is playable without knowing japanese:

http://www.segagagadomain.com/dreamcast-ntsc/sakura_taisen4.htm

It implies that Sakura Taisen 4's battle scenes would be playable through learning to play it via trial and error. Obviously, many of the dialogue trees will be all in japanese and will require mashing on the A button over and over again to get past.

You can always get Sakura Taisen Columns 2 on Dreamcast for a perfectly playable Sakura Taisen related game on DC hehe, though its really columns.

So, with regards to buying games in Japan, I am trying to think of what the best strategy is. Are you planning on buying a lot of games and shipping them back to the US? or taking them with you on the plane? Sakura Taisen games are rather easy to procure cheap, even on ebay via import sellers. I am wondering if it might be wise to just buy games in Japan that are of a higher calibre, had a smaller production run, and are more expensive. Certain Imports like various shmups and fighting games are far cheaper in Japan. Yet on ebay just because they are shmups or fighting games, all sellers are tripling the prices of such games with "RARE RARE RARE!" in the titles. Zero Gunner 2 is selling for 120-150+ on ebay. yeesh...
Posted:
Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:43 am
quote : #109
Hi Smile

Propeller Arena sorted ! Smile A kind member of the forum helped me out on this one Smile

Hum maybe I will pass on Sakura Taisen ... I was hoping at least the fights/menus would have been partially translated in English like it is the case on some japanese games... so it is a minimum playable (Like EGG ... couldnt find a US one and of course not released in Europe ...) ... nope.

I was thinking buying games there, in Japan, and putting them in the big empty suitcase in the plane (I wont have a lot with me on the way there...). Not only Dreamcast ones actually...

I am not sure what else to take honestly (for the Dreamcast), I am not a super hardcore fan of shmups, a part Ikaruga that I LOVE and will certainly take a copy there... if I dont buy it before... it is not that expensive where I live at least (Europe).

The One I will keep an eye on is Canon Spike ... I dont want to put a fortune on it neither...but if I dont find a "affordable" one in japan I guess I wont find it anywhere...

Maybe Marvel Vs Capcom 2 ... and I think there was a special version of Code Veronica including all the extra stuff from the ps2 available only in Japan(?) a part that huum I don't know ... I welcome any suggestions !

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:47 pm
quote : #110
Awesome that you snagged Propeller Arena Wink

You should be able to get some great deals on fighting game imports in Japan. Keep your eyes peeled for both SNK and Capcom fighters. Marvel vs Capcom 2 should be very reasonably priced and easy to find.

Look for a game called "L.O.L." aka Lack of Love. The game fetches expensive prices on ebay, and I am pretty sure this can be acquired in Japan for 3,500 - 4,500 yen.

Biohazard Code Veronica "Complete" is the one you are talking about:
http://www.segagagadomain.com/dreamcast-ntsc_0/biohazardcomp.htm

Also, I highly recommend looking up the games on Yahoo Japan Auctions prior to going to Japan to have an idea of how much Yen the games might cost.
Posted:
Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:49 am
quote : #111
aaah LOL ... no offence but, why would anyone buy this game ? I had an occasion to try it and it ranked easily among the most horrible games I ever played . Shocked

Is it more because its a proper collection item, or do people actually like this game (its a true genuine question).

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:53 pm
quote : #112
Well this gets into an actual game discussion which I would prefer to take place in a thread about the game itself (as this thread is for purchasing discussions). However, really quick: You have to be patient with the game and see it through til the end. L.O.L is one of the most forward thinking intellectually driven games on the Dreamcast. It tries to communicate everything visually, and it has almost no language (written or verbal) in the game at all. I am not going to jump on the "Games as Art" bandwagon, as I feel Games are "Games" and should be respected as a medium onto itself, but L.O.L is definatly more artistically represented than other games of its generation, both in its presentation and the message it is trying to convey. Words like "compelling, moving, and thought provoking" come to mind when trying to describe Lack of Love.

Maybe revisit this game again in burned format sometime with an open mind. If you play the entire game, and still do not like it, you can at least say this having experienced it. Then, if its a game that you feel had a profound impact on you, you will feel more justified in paying money to own the real game.

L.O.L ranks as one of my Top 10, maybe even Top 5 Dreamcast games of all time.

For further Discussion on Lack of Love, we have a thread for it here as well:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7362
Posted:
Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:05 pm
quote : #113
I'm looking for some ideas on replacing busted Dreamcast jewel cases. So far, the cheapest option I came up with was buying a stack of sealed copies of the Dreamcast Web Browser on half.com.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:49 pm
quote : #114
I am confused... why not just buy a 10 pack of clear jewel cases?
Posted:
Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:31 pm
quote : #115
lordnikon wrote:
I am confused... why not just buy a 10 pack of clear jewel cases?

The reason why I'm wary of buying replacement jewel cases is due to the build quality of the replacements. The few replacement jewel cases I own feel flimsier than the usual Dreamcast case.

Anyway, after doing some digging around, I decided to scrap my idea of buying a bunch of Web Browsers and instead grabbed replacement jewel cases at Sleeve City. Once they arrive, I'll post an update.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:36 pm
quote : #116
I just bought Pier Solar on Dreamcast.
Posted:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:26 am
quote : #117
Type: India
i require dreamcast console/hardware and games.. international shipping to india

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:48 am
quote : #118
Hi ppird, I saw your pm, but figured I would answer you here.

ppird wrote:
I am originaly from Japan, okinawa. But settled in India now. I am looking for dreamcast console/hardware.. Games also like virtua fighter 3tb, virtua striker, sega rally, sonic, and sega rally. please message me and i need it fully loaded all set to go online also. Another thing for a dreamcast do you think a projector is good or a samsung big inch tv.

You have 3 challenges in front of you: 1) acquiring a Dreamcast and some games, 2) setting up online support, and 3) a display

1) Buying a Dreamcast and some games should be easy enough. Try ebay. "hit-japan" tends to have very good deals on japanese dreamcast's and games. They ship world-wide.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/hit-japan?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Are you looking to buy a US Dreamcast? or a Japanese Dreamcast? The Japanese versions of the games you mentioned will probobly be cheaper. Those are sega titles and generally sell for decent prices. The Japanese version of Virtua Fighter 3TB sells for around $5-8 USD, where-as the US version is around $30 USD.

2) "Fully loaded and all set to go online" is going to be tricky. This would require a broadband adapter, or using a Raspberry Pi (or similar single board computer) to route the Dreamcast's dialup connection online over broadband. Getting a Dreamcast online requires a little bit of technical effort, and then after that, some effort is needed to schedule games with other players. I would consider this to be a seperate and more longterm goal. Just be advised that most Japanese Dreamcast shipped with 33.6k modems, instead of 56k modems. This could impact speeds over a Raspberry Pi type PCDC setup.

3) Please read this guide for a crash course on the Dreamcast and modern television/monitor display technology:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_dc_video_display.php
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:42 pm
quote : #119
Has anyone been buying any Dreamcast games lately?
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:18 pm
quote : #120
I picked up Bangia-o and Space Channel 5 a few months ago. I haven't played either of them yet, but I loved Bangai-o on the DS!

I tend to only pick things up when I find stuff in game shops these days, so I'm not going out of my way to find things online.