Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:23 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I recently bought 8BitDo's M30 2.4GHz gamepad for the Sega Genesis and have been disappointed with the purchase thus far. The first issue began when I initially hooked the controller up and began testing. It simply refused to pair with the receiver. Looking at Amazon reviews, many mentioned difficulty pairing the controller with the receiver out of the box. I found updates for the controller on 8BitDo's site and figured that would solve my issue.

After the update, my controller still refused to pair with the receiver. Turns out you had to update both the controller and receiver for it to function. The only way to flash the receiver is to take it apart with a Torx head screwdriver. After grabbing my screwdriver set from my parents, I took the receiver apart, updated it and tried it once again. Success! The controller and receiver paired up automatically upon turning my system on. I played Streets of Rage 2 for testing, as it was in my Genesis at the time.

"Uh oh, that's strange. I can't punch anyone." Nearly all of the buttons with the exception of C were not functional. I paired the controller and receiver again to no avail. It turns out that the receiver does not sit flush inside Model 1 Genesis consoles. The receiver protrudes a bit no matter how hard I force it in the controller port. If I apply some pressure to the receiver, the controller will function normally for 30-45 minutes before the buttons become unresponsive or D-pad inputs persist on-screen for a second too long. This actually caused me to lost a life in Fire Shark because the plane's movements persisted long enough to collide with a bullet.

It's a real shame, because the controller itself feels great. The form factor is a little smaller than the Genesis 6-button pad, but has a more weighted feel to compensate. The buttons all seem tactile and responsive (when they're working!), and the D-Pad feels like a tighter, slightly more refined version of the 6-button's D-Pad. This is a terrific controller, wireless issues notwithstanding.

I'm in the process of speaking with 8BitDo's support right now to try and resolve the receiver issue. I'll be sure to update this thread if anything comes of that.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 pm
quote : #2
I wonder if they only tested it on a Model 2 only. That is the system they show in some of their graphics on the site.

I guess on a model 1 the controller is gradually dislodging itself.

Would a Genesis controller extension cable help?
Posted:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:11 pm
quote : #3
The extension or, since you need it disassembled in the event there are ever any other updates, does leaving the case off help any?

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:51 pm
quote : #4
After fiddling with the receiver and trying it in my other Genesis console, I seem to have it sitting tightly in my Model 1 console. I've played several hours of games since reseating the receiver without a hitch. I'm not completely confident that it'll sit tightly in the controller port forever, but it seems stable for now.

Dreamcast ™ wrote:
The extension or, since you need it disassembled in the event there are ever any other updates, does leaving the case off help any?

I was actually going to try using the receiver with the case off if I kept having issues. Looking at the receiver, I think that the culprit is actually the connector to the controller port. The Model 2 connector may be every so slightly wider, but I would need to take a second look.

As far as controller extension cables go, I couldn't find a cable with solid reviews. If all else fails, I'll gamble and order one.