Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:47 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Somwhow...someway...I will setup a dualshock gaming environment for my dreamcast for Quake 3. Yea a keyboard and mouse is nice...however.....i have really started to enjoy playing first person shooters with a controller. Namely from playing them on my PS2. A dual analog setup would be so ideal for playing Quake 3.

Once you have the movements down with your thumbs not only does it become second nature but its also very very comfortable and I have felt I could play much longer. Also I have been realizing lately that the dreamcast pumps out a much more tolerable framerate on a TV than on a monitor. I kinda get headaches after a while playing Q3 on the 17" sony flat screen crt....yea its butter crisp i can see everything and it is SO clear. However I have felt my self wanting to play it on my 32 inch TV via s-video even more.

Somehow someway...I am going to get a dual analog setup working on my dreamcast. Hell even a 1 analog. I just have to find a controller where the swivel analog stick is in the right hand position.

I know some other people asked about this so I thought I would let people know that I am on a mission. Somehow I will figure out if this is possible....or impossible.

Let the testing begin(wonder how many adaptors its gonna cost me to figure this out).
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:15 am
quote : #2
well heres an idea, if ur good with soildering or whutever, u can turn the Y B A & X buttons into another analog stick, i got the idea after i got mad at a controler for busting down on me, took sledge hammer to it, and then analized the broken analog and the buttons
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:22 am
quote : #3
evilnine wrote:
well heres an idea, if ur good with soildering or whutever, u can turn the Y B A & X buttons into another analog stick, i got the idea after i got mad at a controler for busting down on me, took sledge hammer to it, and then analized the broken analog and the buttons

It doesn't work very well, a friend of mine already tried it. And I am not looking to have just up down left and right looking around. I want full 360 degree viewing. Plus I want to find a solution that will allow others to take advantage of it as well. Through an adaptor and a controller that can be purchased.
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:33 pm
quote : #4
isnt there equipment which allows ps1 and other controllers to connect to dc? i have definately seen that some where, anyway, i love my dc controller, and i have huge hands so i dont have the usual "its to big for my ickle fingers" complaint, but itd be cool to have a second analogue for the up down left right viewing
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:20 pm
quote : #5
ultrapro wrote:
isnt there equipment which allows ps1 and other controllers to connect to dc? i have definately seen that some where, anyway, i love my dc controller, and i have huge hands so i dont have the usual "its to big for my ickle fingers" complaint, but itd be cool to have a second analogue for the up down left right viewing
yes there is an adapter but nothing is mapped to the right side analog stick nor the L3 or R3 buttons or even the L2 or R2

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:19 am
quote : #6
Huge question. Is it mapped to the LEFT analog stick? If so I am going to re-sodder a ps2 controller so the sticks are flipped around. Please let me know. Thanx.

Also have people tried both DS1's and DS2's?
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:02 am
quote : #7
nikon can you tell ur friend if they can e-mail instructions on how to make the Y B A & X buttons into a analog

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:18 am
quote : #8
evilnine wrote:
nikon can you tell ur friend if they can e-mail instructions on how to make the Y B A & X buttons into a analog

Make them into an analog.......? You mean make those buttons pressure sensitive?
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:33 am
quote : #9
yeah pressure sensative now that i think about it, it would give me more accurate movements

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:38 am
quote : #10
evilnine wrote:
yeah pressure sensative now that i think about it, it would give me more accurate movements

You can't just wave a magic wand and mysteriously give analog pressure sensitivity to buttons that never had it in the first place. Plus no games were designed to support pressure senstive control.

The dreamcast controller has 2 analog triggers, and 1 analog directional stick. That's all it has and that's what every game was programmed for. You can't give analog functionality to digital buttons. When you use a PS2 DUAL SHOCK 2 controller using a controller adaptor the dreamcast will not recognize any of the analog buttons. Because the games were not programmed to handle them to be pressure sensitive in the first place. I believe it only recognizes 2 buttons as being analog and 1 analog stick...the left one...thats all.