Page 1 of 1
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:10 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I am planning on starting a Quake III server for me and some local (Oregon) friends (sorry, not 24/7), and I was wondering what the minimum specs for a dedicated server were.

Using Q3 dedicated server software isn't extremely hardware-dependent, I know, but the machine I am thinking of using would be a Pentium Pro 200Mhz with 78mb RAM, on a cable connection. I think that this would be ok for hosting 4 players without any server-side mods cluttering things up, but I figured I would ask to see if anyone else has hosted/played on a server at or near these specifications.

When you think about it, the server software is simply a glorified console, but I just thought I would check before I took the plunge and spent $12 on a PC copy of Quake III (I'm cheap).

Any help or info would be greately appreciated.

evilnine
unknown
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:15 pm
quote : #2
i suggest a shuttle PC, small, plenty of juice to run your server with the stats u just listed, look for one at www.ebay.com/ or http://www.tigerdirect.com/

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:27 pm
quote : #3
Don't listen to evilnine he doesn't know what he is talking about. The machine your planning on using should be perfect Einhander. I run a local server for testing purposes on my LAN as well, I use a scrub machine, 350mHz. Worked perfectly.if you have any issues the only recommendation I would have is to add maybe a touch more ram. The OS might suck up a lot of ram. Make sure you tweak your system out to disable any unecessary processes running so the dedicated server isn't fighting for ram with needless background processes.

A Pentium Pro 200Mhz with 78mb RAM, on a cable connection should be perfect.
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:35 pm
quote : #4
Quote:
A Pentium Pro 200Mhz with 78mb RAM, on a cable connection should be perfect.

Groovy.