Topic: Did you know.....

Page 1 of 2
twistedidiot
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:01 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
That the very first Dreamcasts made had a liquid cooling system that had a teeny radiator and pump near the fan and purified water was pumped through small pipes to special plates on the CPU and Graphic chip. The CPU and graphics chips got too hot for that puny lil fan to handle. Later on Sega redesigned the motherboard and moved the CPU closer to the fan and added a better heatsink plate so that the fan could cool things down without using that crazy plumbing... Laughing A link showing what it lookes like is here at http://www.trsoft.demon.co.uk/dc/insidedc.htm

Recent info has shown that this system never made it into the production stage. Thanks Dreamcastmagic for pointing this out to me.

Last edited by twistedidiot on Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:21 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Wow i never knew. Very interesting Smile If anyone today is having overheating problems with their dreamcast's that fan that attaches ot the back of the dreamcast and forces cool air in works great. I read several reviews, and all the buyers said their DC stays cool all day long. I am prolly gonna be getting one soon. I want me dc to live forever :]
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:39 am
quote : #3
that is interesting ill have to work that into next months article i write thanks for the info

twistedidiot
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:10 am
quote : #4
Due to recent information I have discovered that the information I had concerning the liquid cooling system on the older Dreamcasts was false. This system apparently never made it to production. Thank you DreamcastMagic for pointing this out to me.

Though I am sure that somewhere on this planet one such a system may exist because of the tech sites pictures (someone has seen one up close) This has not been proven however so until one of these elusive and rare systems are found for proper scientific disection and study we will have to assume that the existence of such a creature is merely a myth or a "boogie man" tale designed to frighten children.

Last edited by twistedidiot on Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:43 pm
quote : #5
You only need the add on if you play games in a very small room with bad circulation. Otherwise, you're fine.
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:09 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U
wow, I always love learning more about my DC. I remember reading about the DC's cooling system long ago, but they only said it was "special" and didn't really go in-depth about it. i had no idea it was a water cooled system! I wonder if you can fit the water cooling system into a DC that came without one with little modding. i'd love to have a little extra cooling power but my DC is loud enough with one fan.

twistedidiot
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:56 pm
quote : #7
Perhaps we can ask Sega to see if one of them is lurking in storage. I am sure if one still exists they would be willing to part with it.

Last edited by twistedidiot on Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:44 pm
quote : #8
The number next to the NTSC is 0 for me..... weird.

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:49 pm
quote : #9
is the number in front of it and on the same line... because those where never released... it was on back in the devlopment day ... im not sure they even where going to call it Dreamcast when they tryed that idea

twistedidiot
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:44 pm
quote : #10
The number is on the same line as the NTSC symbol right before it. A zero is supposed to mean you have one of the 1st generation machines but according to the recent info I have from DreamcastMagic the liquid cooling system is a myth so I apologize for perpetuating this urban legend.

Last edited by twistedidiot on Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:45 pm
quote : #11
I have a first gen. Dreamcast and it doesn't have anywhere pipes in it looked through the fan .. the Liquid cooling system was never released it never even made it out of devlopment; it wasted space and im guessing added to the system cost which already made them loose money when it was first released at $200

twistedidiot
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:58 am
quote : #12
Well I was misinformed then. The information I posted was on more than one technical site so I assumed it was correct.

I will go and edit my posts now to reflect this fact.
Posted:
Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:10 pm
quote : #13
Well it appears some (maybe all) Dreamcasts have Liquid cooling systems along with the fan ... this is what I was told by a friend who has done internal Dreamcast mods here is what he said "I used to own a liquid cooled model, though I don't know where it has gone. It was a US model too. It was just basically some pipes coming from the fan to the sh4 and the video processor." ... so I think in gen 2 they toke out the Liquid cooling system and moved the processor closer to the fan ... which I read some where .. but I can't verify this since I don't do dc mods ... does anyone know the truth.. I keep on finding sites that controdict each other ... i think im going to e-mail Sega .. maybe they can help

"

twistedidiot
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:21 am
quote : #14
Well I took mine apart down to the last screw. No funky pipes. But I did notice the heatsink plate was massive. I cleaned the dust out then put it all back together.

So the hunt for the elusive pipe fanned Dreamcast continues.

Notice: Disection of a Dreamcast should only be attempted by a professional. Possible electric shock and or premature death of the Dreamcast can result. No Dreamcasts were harmed in this study.
Posted:
Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:29 pm
quote : #15
Well I got back a e-mail from Sega of America and they said the following: Dear Sir,

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.

The original and subsequent Dreamcast consoles had fans to cool the system.

Sincerely,

-Sandi
Sega of America Technical Support

which leds me to think a Dreamcast from Japan might have one but that realy wouldn't make since so I think I was right and it was never released in the US (and it would make since that it counted the ones from Japan and Europe