Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:02 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Grandia II Anniversary Edition was just released for the PC on GOG.com.

http://www.gog.com/game/grandia_ii_anniversary_edition

Check out the list of features:

• Visual upgrades to textures, lighting, and shadows
  • Original Japanese voice option
  • Additional difficulty level
  • Gamepad support
  • Selectable Video Options
  • Remapable Keyboard & Gamepad Support
  • 100 Save File Slots
  • Dreamcast VMS Save File Support

I have not played through Grandia II yet entirely. So other than "resuming" an already in progress Dreamcast Grandia II save, I am not sure what benefits there are beyond this. Possibly the additional difficulty level?

(Note: This thread qualifies for valid discussion here in the Dreamcast Lounge because the PC version taps into Dreamcast generated save formats.)
Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:14 pm
quote : #2
lordnikon wrote:

I have not played through Grandia II yet entirely. So other than "resuming" an already in progress Dreamcast Grandia II save, I am not sure what benefits there are beyond this. Possibly the additional difficulty level?

That sounds right to me. From what I remember, there is no Hard mode in the original version. Here is an excerpt I found regarding the new mode:

rpgsite.net wrote:
"From what I can tell, all the mode actually does is raise all monster HP by 20%. Unfortunately, this doesn't practically change the flow much for a large portion of the game. Not until late bosses (where a 20% HP increase is significant) did I start to see a noticeable difference on this front."

For those confused by this, Grandia II was ported again to the PC under the Anniversary Edition moniker. This is a brand new port based on the original Dreamcast code done by SkyBox Labs. The original port released by Ubisoft is widely considered as vastly inferior to the original.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:23 pm
quote : #3
That is simply amazing. This means a historically accurate and enhanced version of the original Dreamcast game was brought to the PC, and in DRM free format as well. Really, we couldn't have asked for anything better than this.
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:16 pm
quote : #4
Been excited for this release. It looks like a rather basic yet accurate port.

A bit bummed to see it's still 4:3 and locked at 30fps. But it's at least priced well for an accurate no frills port, and features an undubbed option.

Would be interesting to see how it runs compared to an emulator running an undubbed dreamcast gdi at similar resolution and post processing.