Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
mysteryracer
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:56 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Before I begin talking about the one problem that is preventing me from getting my dreamcast online, I want to explain my situation first. I'm no expert at networking, but I would say that I can reasonably work through problems, even if it takes me a while (so I would say I'm competent enough to take advice). Anyway, I had purchased a HIRO H50113 56k v.92 USB Data/Fax/Voice modem, expecting to follow a guide for connecting my Dreamcast through a PC DC Linux server. However, my USB modem ended up not supporting Linux, so I was stuck in a hole. Searching for an idea, I thought of making a PC DC server through Windows ME on VMware. I knew I'd be fine doing so, following Lordnikon's guide, seeing as doing all the steps he laid out would work, but I knew one major problem would arise; getting my USB modem to go through to the VM and become detected on Windows ME. Ethernet was no big issue, as VMware allowed me to bridge the connection to my Host OS's Wifi and access the internet through the Guest OS (Windows ME), but I'm having a huge issue in getting my USB modem to connect through to the Guest OS.

Let me explain my process in the matter:

- First, I installed the drivers and the USB Modem to my Host OS, then checked its COM port in "Device Manager" to find it was in COM3

- After Windows ME installed on VMware, on the Host OS, I went to Manage -> Virtual Machine Settings -> Add... -> Serial Port -> Use Physical serial port -> (Selected the COM3 port)

- I also selected "Bridged" on my network adapter, so Windows ME can surf the internet just fine, and I can find the ethernet adapter within the Guest OS

- For precautions, I installed the same drivers for my USB modem that I did on my Host OS onto my Guest OS

- Making sure that my device was being detected by VMware, I unplugged it and it gave me a notication, so I knew that it was detecting my device

- In Windows ME, I selected "Make New Connection". I was prompted with a menu to search the modem, so I took a wild guess and selected "Standard 56000 bps V90 Modem", seeing as it was similar to my 56k V92 USB modem, and when it told me to select a port, I selected the COM1 port, because COM1 and COM2 ports were the only available ports I could select. It then said I had installed the modem successfully.

- Fearing that my USB modem wasn't connecting to the Guest OS, I went to troubleshoot my Modem. I went to Control Panel -> Modems -> Diagnostics -> (With the Modem I had installed in the "Make New Connection" application selected) I clicked More Info. I was then brought to the screen, where it gave me a command and response windows for my USB Modem:

Identifier: USRK2_Gen

Command Response
ATI1 OK
ATI2 OK
ATI3 LSI SoftModem Version 2.2.102 (What it showed in the bubble when I installed the Modem on my Host OS)
ATI4 Built on 08/12/2010 10:58:04
ATI5 2.2.102, USB 2.0 Super Speed, U2 S-Re...
ATI6 Ok
ATI7 USB 2.0 Super Speed
AT_FCLA... 0,1

- Fearing that this detection may have just been due to VMware tools or the drivers I had installed on the Guest OS from the CD that came with my USB modem, I unplugged my USB modem and clicked on the More Info button again. I recieved an error, saying "The modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on. If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set". So now, I knew for sure, that my USB modem had to be connected to the Guest OS, especially after it detecting not only my modem, but its Build date as well, something that would not have been detected if the Guest OS was not detecting the physical external USB Modem itself.

- So now, I followed Lordnikon's guide all the way through (all done through the Guest OS), making sure not to miss a single step. I finally arrived at step 8, so I opened up my dial-up server I had created. At the correct point, I pushed "Allow caller access" and "Apply", and was greeted with this ugly message "The modem is not available: it is either not plugged in, is configured incorrectly or another program is using it. If no other programs are using it, check the modem configuration. Click Help for more information.

- Finally, I went to Device Manager on my Guest OS, going under the "Modem" tab, to find that the "Standard 56000 bps V90 Modem" I had set up had an exclamation mark on it in a yellow circle. I clicked on it to go into the properties menu for it. Under Device status, it says "Windows stopped responding while attempting to start this device, and therefore will never attempt to start this device again (Code 11.)

For more information, look up ASD in Windows Help

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device"

And below it has the "Update Driver" button

So what have I been doing wrong? Should I push the Update Driver button? (Though I doubt it will do anything), due to Microsoft not supporting this OS anymore. My USB modem is obviously being detected, though it's saying that it's not available. I need help. It should be easy enough to use a VM to simulate a Windows ME based PC DC server, but I'm stumbling on this huge bump. Any help is appreciated.

UPDATE:

- In the "Make New Connection" area, where I was prompted to select my modem, I instead, selected "Agere Systems USB Soft Modem" instead (because Agere supplied the drivers for my USB modem), and went through Lordnikon's guide all over again.

- I ended up recieving the same textbox I was greeted with when I hit "Apply" on "Allow Caller Access" on the Dial Up Server, when attempting it for the second time.

- I then checked the Device Manager to find that there was that yellow circle with a black exclamation mark in it again right by my USB modem. I then manually installed the drivers, getting greeted with a BSOD.

-After the recovery, I noticed that there was a red X mark by my USB modem this time.

Sources:

Lordnikon's guide to setting up a PC-DC server through Windows 98/ME:
http://www.dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php