Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
segaholic456
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi I am new here and found out about this cool site by using google. I am a poor downtroten college student who still lives at home and doesnt have a computer or even a cell phone with internet(Yes I have a tracphone ICYWW). So I was hoping to see if I can use my Sega Dreamcast as my computer.

We dont have any internet connection here at the house, but was wondering if I could use a free-trial dial up cd from one of those cheap isp's like Juno.I know it will be slower than a snail, but its better than having to come to the library and wait for the computer and only be aloud on for an hour. I dont have one of those broadband adaptors and I already blew my pell grant money on textbooks and my new Sega(my old one broke way back in 2008 and I havent had a VG system of any kind since then).

I love this system so much, it is my favorite and I recently found PSO version 1 at a local store for 8 bucks used and I have WSB,Nhl,Nba and Nfl 2k2. I was wondering if I could also play any games online with my DC. Btw I live in the US and I do have that web browser 2.0. I looked it up online and web broser 3.0 is $50 so I have to wait for my next pell grant so I can spend it on that and shenmue 2 and the dcx instead of my textbooks and **** off my instructors hahahaha, then get kicked the hell outa college and spend the rest of my life in telemarketing(ahhhgggg!).

Thanks in advance for any answers and thank you for creating this awsome site! Sega will always be my favorite video game company.

fattony
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:09 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
There is a way to use free juno dail-up but its illegall and doesnt work for crap. There are a few free dail-up Isps still out there. I know there is a very good one I used to use but it only has California access numbers What state are you in?

segaholic456
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:19 pm
quote : #3
I am from Arizona and live in Phoenix. Why is using dial-up illegal for Dreamcast?

fattony
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:53 pm
quote : #4
dial-up is not illegal but the methods to use most free dial-up services is. It involves hacking the access number which violates the Juno terms of service.

segaholic456
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm
quote : #5
Wouldn't they just give you the access number? i am soory if the question is stupid, I have never used dial-up before and dont know alot about this.

Also, I looked into PSO and it says that it can be played online anymore,but lets say you and another person both had dc's,a copy of PSO and each others phone number. COuldn't you just dial-in to each other like with the Sega Saturn Netlink?

fattony
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 pm
quote : #6
Dont worry I had no idea how dail-up worked on Dremacast when I first got one. The access number the juno service gives you is Juno's only and that specific number is set to display ads and allow a time limit. PSO is officially down but there are currently still servers working for it but most have hacking and cheating. This website has it own but there a special requirement that need to be fulfilled by the user before they can access it, There are no sega saturn netlink style games available for dreamcast. Its just something to do with how dial-up works. Now back to getting dail-up access working. Do you know if you have long distance calling available?

segaholic456
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 pm
quote : #7
My Mom shut off long distance when I was ten because I was calling 1900 numbers and got into some trouble. So what you are saying is I need to get her to reverse that if I am to get online with the Dreamcast?

fattony
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:10 pm
quote : #8
Dail-up cinternet is basically a phone-call but instead of the persons vioce on the other end you get data. Unless you can find an access number with your in your area you'll want long distance calling so you can use other numbers not close to you. You could google search things like Free Ariona dail-up and see what you can find but I tried and coudnt find much so you might just have to check here]http://www.fastfreedialup.com/free_dialup_access_numbers.html. I can confirm that all these numbers work and can help you set up most of the games on it[/url]

segaholic456
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm
quote : #9
Thank you so much for all you're help!